Review by Jsovermyer -- The Omicron Six by Endy Wright

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Review by Jsovermyer -- The Omicron Six by Endy Wright

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Omicron Six" by Endy Wright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

His teachers have never heard Cooper Callister speak. His parents help him cope with his problems, and only they know of his gift. His ability to listen to others’ thoughts causes a constant, deafening noise in his head, making him unable to concentrate or talk. Poor Coupe Daschelete, nicknamed “Single” because of the single shirt he owns, also possesses secret talents. Extraordinarily intelligent and quick on his feet, he uses his skills to survive alone and avoid the people who want to hurt him. These two boys find friendship and forge a bond that makes them stronger together. But how did they get these abilities? They believe they are safe as long as they conceal their secrets and stay together. But someone does know about them and wants to destroy them.

The Omicron Six is an exciting sci-fi novel by Endy Wright. Although similar in concept to the “X-men” series, this story stands out with its exceptionally well-developed characters. Even though the boys have powers, they are not outlandish and seem believable. Cooper is a gentle giant, and Coupe is quick-witted and fast-talking. The deep, unbreakable connection between Cooper and Coupe was my favorite part of the book. You can feel that the characters care about each other, which makes me sympathetic towards them. The book has solid characterization; even the minor characters have unique details and motivation to make them stand out.

The story is composed of two distinct parts: one which tells of the boys growing friendship as they explore and test their gifts, and the second where we get some back-story into how and why their powers exist. I enjoyed the first part more as it was more character-driven. The second part is action-packed and full of surprises.

There is no sex, but child abuse and rape do occur. There are some violent and intense situations portrayed. Strong profanity occurs, although it is not excessive. I would recommend this book only to adults, and sensitive readers may want to pass on this one.

It is a well-written book. As I found only one typo in the whole thing, I believe it has been edited professionally. There was nothing I disliked about the novel. It was one of my favorites for the year, and I recommend it to all readers of sci-fi and urban fantasy. It has action, danger, fight scenes, and even some romance. This story deserves the highest rating I can give, and I am rating The Omicron Six by Endy Wright four out of four stars. An excerpt of the sequel Blood for the Fisher King is included at the end of this book. I can’t wait until it comes out so that I can continue with these exciting characters.

The Omicron Six
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I agree with how amazing this book is. I joined Endy Wright's email list for updates on the future books.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Mounce574 wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 12:35 I agree with how amazing this book is. I joined Endy Wright's email list for updates on the future books.
That's great! I'll have to sign up too.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Cooper Callister's ability to read others thought and story being weaved around it looks fascinating to me thanks for your nice review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of the plot and the characters! This is a fascinating premise that appeals to readers of all ages. Are you ever too old to dream of having a superpower? Your excellent writing leaves readers intrigued!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”