Review by Olgamiell -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Olgamiell -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Olgamiell »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a fantasy novel written by Matthew Tysz. It is the first book of the series that will ultimately consist of nine volumes. The story is set in the land of Voulhire, a world full of hard-working people, ruthless emperors, and talented magicians.

Galen Bray is a young man, born and raised in a faraway land tormented by a brutal civil war. His life consists mostly of fear, poverty, and daily struggle. But his fate changes when he receives the news that one of his relatives, from a realm called Voulhire, is passing away. His dying wish is to find Galen and offer him the possibility to move and continue his work as a blacksmith. That is an incredible opportunity for the young man, the one that he is more than grateful to accept. Meantime, in Voulhire, lord Eldus is sent by the king to govern the city of Hillport. The two previous lords had become infamous for their cruel practices. One of them, a particularly dangerous mage called Meldorath, is said to be dead. And most people, for their own sake, choose to believe that he truly is.

The plot of We are Voulhire follows two protagonists, Galen and Eldus. The story revolves mainly around them, with the additional appearance of other important characters. Each chapter starts with an "I am (...)" phrase. It is to help readers to indicate who is going to be the lead in the following part. The threads intertwine, slowly unveiling the intrigues that happen under the great skies of the land of Voulhire.

After reading We are Voulhire, I was genuinely impressed by the author's imagination. Matthew Tysz created a magical universe full of legends, myths, and vivid characters. The kingdom of Voulhire is a complex land. There is a lot of characters, names, places, and institutions throughout the story. It may seem a little confusing, so I especially liked that the author decided to include the realm's map at the beginning of the book. In the end, we can also find a glossary of some terms that appear throughout the novel. It shows that it was important for Matthew Tysz that readers accurately comprehend the world he described. It is good to remember that We are Voulhire is the first part of the saga, so it was essential to build solid foundations for the rest of the story.

As I've mentioned before, I think that Matthew Tysz invented an impressive world. As we discover the new land alongside Galen, we learn about the history and politics of Voulhire. We also travel through different cities, discovering many little details that create a fascinating and coherent universe. Thanks to the captivating narrative, the story has a great flow. The book also seems to be professionally edited; I didn't find any errors.

I think there's nothing that I wouldn't like about this book. It has great storytelling and intrigue that made me flip the pages almost without rest. I was a bit surprised to find out that despite the ambiance full of knights, mages, and squires, the characters use surprisingly modern language. There are quite a few curse words throughout the book, but nothing too obscene. The novel also has slightly sexual content and a few rather brutal scenes (I felt genuinely sorry for some characters), so I wouldn't recommend it to children and younger teenagers. Otherwise, I think it is an amazing novel for everyone that likes fantasy books.

I happily award this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a fascinating novel. Witty characters, vivid narrative, and an outstanding world created by Matthew Tysz made We Are Voulhire a book that I found difficult to put down. The author evidently put a lot of thought into the story he invented. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Thank you for the amazing review :)
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Truth in Hope by R.A. Simpson

Post by Prisallen »

This, indeed, sounds like an amazing beginning for the series. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Tarilan
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Post by Tarilan »

I enjoyed reading this book. Am glad you did too. I agree with your observations. Thanks for the great review.
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Just in time
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Unethical by Marla L. Anderson

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with your insights about this book. The author put a lot of thought into this first volume that sets the stage for the entire series. You have a very engaging writing style. Thanks for the fascinating review!
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Return to Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by raluca_mihaila »

You did a great job with the review! I am glad you enjoyed so much the first book; this means you will appreciate even more the next books. Looking forward to reading your next reviews!
DANAWEB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by DANAWEB »

I read and reviewed this book some time back. Your review is detailed and very informative!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”