The Uglies series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stella White 47
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-white-47.html

Re: The Uglies series

Post by Stella White 47 »

I've read the Uglies, and intend to read the rest of the series. Lately I've been reading more slowly. Short days and distractions are making me sleepy, but I will get to it. The theme is of value to young people, who are often taught that physical beauty is extremely important. At least it will get them thinking. And the adventure is fun and feels real.
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

This sounds fantastic. Where can I find the series?
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
Stella White 47

I am getting my books at the library these days, and at the moment ebooks. I attempted a few days ago to find Pretties on the list of available ebooks, but it was not there. Extras was available, so I grabbed it. I think I can enjoy it, even out of order.

I like the character Tally, and Iimagine skipping a bit of her life story will be like a visiting realitive who hasn't been around for a few years. I think I'll be able to figure things out.
astoldbysiri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by astoldbysiri »

Oh I have read this series a couple of years back and I was hooked! I really loved the way Scot imagined a futuristic, materialistic dystopia that makes people reflect on their personal perception of beauty.
ScarletJade

Post by ScarletJade »

The Uglies series is one of my all-time favorites. However, the first line threw me off because of the description of the sky. Looking back on it now though, it is the only first line of any book that I can remember word for word. After reading the first line and being slightly disgusted, I was hooked on the rest of the book. I had gotten the entire series in a box set for Christmas, and I read one right after the other. The great thing is, they get better if you read them all again!

I also enjoyed the way the books made me question how I viewed my personal values. It made me question what I thought was morally right and wrong. Did I think the system should be allowed to perform surgery to control the population after what happend to the "Rusties"? Was it right for such a high value to be placed on beauty? Why was there a certain formula for what was considered pretty instead of a wider array of appearances?

I recommended the series to my friend this year, and she loved the first book. I would definitely recommend it to others! Following Tally on her journey to discover who she is helped me discover more of who I am as well. :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Batesblogger wrote:This sounds fantastic. Where can I find the series?
Library or Amazon.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Stella White 47

I am still reading way out of order. At the moment I can't fine Pretties anywhere. I first located Extras on the ebooks at my library, so I decided to start it. It seemed like I would like it. But a few days later Specials popped up, and I thought -- At least it is closer to where I ended with Uglies. And it is. I can tell that a lot happened in between, and the goals of Tally and Shay have changed. I'm not sure it's for the better, but they are learning things about themselves. Of course, they are learning in the school of hard knocks, which brings adventure into the picture, and wondering what will happen.

Is this what would happen if humans could mess with their bodies to this degree to enhance their abilities?

It holds my attention so far. I'm about four chapters in, and it's good to have on long bus rides.

-- 30 Dec 2014, 12:31 --

I have come up with an objection regarding one of the ways people in the story work their way out of being "bubbleheads" and then maintain their "icy" or clear mentality, which they lose at age 16 with the mandatory operation they have at age 16 in order to become Pretties and to go live in New Pretty Town.

Those who use this practice are called "Cutters" and it sounds like what depressed and desperate people do to counteract emotional pain. Since this series is aimed at Young Adults, I'd hate to think this would give them ideas.
mrswinter14

Post by mrswinter14 »

Of all the young reader/teen series this has got to by far be my favorite. Not only does it make us rethink what we think about ourselves but it also teaches us that you don't have to conform to the rest of society just because that is the only thing you know. Make your own decisions. This is my most recommended series, absolutely LOVE this series. If you haven't read them yet, READ IT!!
erindcargill
Favorite Author: Jessica Sorensen
Favorite Book: I have tons of favorite books
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erindcargill.html
fav_author_id: 2651

Post by erindcargill »

I have always wanted to read The Uglies series, is it worth it?
Skylar41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skylar41.html

Post by Skylar41 »

I bought the book a couple weeks ago and read it this week and just finished it today. It was really cool how there are Uglies and Pretties. I really enjoyed this book!
msmillennial
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmillennial.html

Post by msmillennial »

I absolutely adore this series with every fiber of my being! This is one of the only series I've read over and over again. This is one of the first series I really fell in love with, and helped me fall in love with reading. I love the originality of the story and the characters. It is definitely meant for an adolescent audience, with somewhat limited vocabulary (other than original vocabulary from the author) and high school-esque relationships between the characters. I would absolutely recommend this series to anyone looking to start loving reading, or just someone looking for a good, leisurely read.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I stumbled upon this series in my library and read half of it. Then like 5 years later I saw them at the bookstore, I didn't read the Extras because I don't like it when authors continue a series years later or no longer have the same characters.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Scott Westerfeld is on a book tour right now promoting his new book Imposters, which takes place in the world of Uglies.

I really enjoy the series and I did a conference presentation over plastic surgery as a form of posthumanity that I would love to turn into an academic article. Even though it is a science-fiction/fantasy dystopian series, it has a strong foundation in reality. Teens lose a lot of friends during adolescence when one becomes prettier, which is no fault of anyone's--except genetics and society.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
ValeB

Post by ValeB »

Uglies, by Scott Weaternfeld

The Ugliest series presents a world where beauty conquers. This book reflects the need for beauty that humanity is constantly looking for. Even thought it is an Utopia it is not so far away from reality. We would reach to unimaginable levels just to be “pretty”. Throughout the three books we encounter characters that are in the search to break the definition of word beauty, for a more deep one.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I realise I'm almost 5 years late to this thread, but this trilogy made such a huge impression on me when I read it (many, many years ago) and I think about the books from time to time.

I honestly feel like it inspired so many other series and authors, including Stephanie Myers' The Host, and I have a feeling that I would enjoy reading the series again, even now as an adult. I see some people commenting about how Tally annoyed them in the second and third books.. to be honest, that is something that I found incredible. If at any point I found myself being frustrated or annoyed with her, I believe that is what I was meant to be feeling. I struggle to believe that the books are anything but great, seeing as I read them once, about 10 years ago, and they have stayed with me since.

It has been a long time, but I don't remember liking Extra's though.. if I recall correctly it's kind of an outlier as Tally is not the protagonist in it. To be honest, I'm not sure it I ever finished it. I am now inspired to get back on the Scott Westerfeld train!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”