Review by sri varshini303041 -- We are Voulhire: A New A...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Review by sri varshini303041 -- We are Voulhire: A New A...

Post by sri varshini303041 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fascinating science fiction/fantasy that narrates the story of the magical kingdom of Voulhire through the eyes of Galen. This is the first book in the series. The map provided in the book is very useful to understand the importance of the chain of island present.

The peninsula nation somewhat reminds me of southern India. Some of the important characters are Galen, who tries his best to get used to Voulhire and its magical lifestyle, Wilhelm, the king of Voulhire, Riva Rohavi, a terrorist crowd and Eldus, the new lord of Hillport. The readers are introduced to the political tension of Voulhire in the first chapter itself. Want to know whether the innocent newbie, Galen survived in the ruthless kingdom of Voulhire? Read this epic fantasy novel to find out.

The introductory novel does an amazing job of hooking the readers to the plot. The world building of this fantasy fiction seems very attention-grabbing. Galen Bray is the main character of the novel but the author gives each character a unique narrative. This technique aids the readers to get involved with every character. The titles of the chapters were helpful to understand the distinct perspectives.

What I liked most about this book is the detailed world building, and the language, that displays the way of life in the medieval period. The storyline was unpredictable. I really enjoyed it.

What I did not like about the book is the slow paced narration. But this is a common drawback found in many fantasy novels. The slow pace and the information dumping tend to be unavoidable while describing a new fantasy world to the readers. I also would have enjoyed the book a little more if the author had not waited till the last chapter to tie all the loose ends. I couldn’t remember all the details from the initial chapters. But this may be due to the fact that I read the book in parts instead of finishing it in one sitting. If you are someone who can finish a book in one day, this won’t be a problem for you at all.

The political situation of the novel reminded me of current times more than once.The book contains profane language but no sexual scenes. But it also has elements of child abuse, which might be triggering for some people. Due to these reasons, I wouldn’t recommend this book to children. I couldn’t find any grammatical or typological error in my pdf copy. So, I would say the book is exceptionally well edited. I would like to give 4 out of 4 stars for this book. It’s very well written and well edited.

I would like to recommend this book to the fans of The witcher, Game of thrones, The rage of dragons, City of lies, The blade itself, Prince of thorns, Assassin’s Apprentice, and The kingkiller chronicle . Fans of fantasy fiction with political tension and power struggle would totally enjoy this book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”