Review by Neverlandgirl -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Neverlandgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neverlandgirl.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Review by Neverlandgirl -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Neverlandgirl »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tsyz is the first in a series of fantasy novels that center on the kingdom of Voulhire. The realm is one of magic and dreams, though there is turmoil, it survives. Some of the characters centered on in this installment are Galen, a young man who leaves the Land of the Princes for a better life in Voulhire, and Lord Eldus, the recently promoted lord of Hillport, a small coastal town. This book is to be one of nine in the series, and while it could be read alone, I do believe that fans of the novel and characters will want to read the full series.

The book contains sex jokes and a lot of profanity. There is also discussion of child molestation by a ruler (though nothing explicit), and rape is mentioned. Violence occurs throughout the book and while most of it is not described in extreme detail, it may be disturbing to some. Hence, this book is not for children or young teens. I would recommend it to adults who enjoy fantasy and adventure series and are looking for something new.

I had two favorite aspects of the book; Galen’s storyline and the sibling relationship of Marshus and Isla Alderman. Galen struck me as a sweet and honest country boy who was excited to start life anew in Voulhire. He was amazed at all the new things he saw and learned about, and overall was just a great character. Marshus and Isla Alderman are the teen children of Lord Eldus Alderman, and their camaraderie was so cute and sweet. Marshus (the eldest) told his sister stories and seemed like a good brother. The author seemed to really use the Aldermans to showcase what family life is like in Voulhire.

My least favorite part of the book would have to be the perspective switching. I am a fan of this choice normally, however, there were a lot of characters to keep straight in this book. It was just difficult to remember details when the characters switched each chapter. I would also like to comment that I was not a fan of the constant profanity, the story really could have done without.

Overall, I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I am going to be honest; I was on the fence from the description of this book. I have not read much in the way of fantasy before and was not quite sure what all it entailed, though I was interested. While I do know now that fantasy is probably not for me, it was a decent book and very well written. I would not be surprised if I read one of the sequels should the opportunity arise.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
May the Lord bless you and keep you

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”