Official Review: Going back twenty five years with a Para...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Going back twenty five years with a Paranormal Twist. by Julian Black.

Official Review: Going back twenty five years with a Para...

Post by Nonny2208 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Going back twenty five years with a Paranormal Twist." by Julian Black..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The smile we see on people's faces today doesn't represent what's truly going on within them. Many people are being subjected to a dysfunctional childhood upbringing, which eventually leads to a depressed and unfulfilled adult life. The smiles on their faces is just a façade and a way to fit in with the outside world.

Going back twenty five years with a Paranormal Twist by Julian Black is a 116-page fantasy-based book. It's somewhat of a fictional autobiography of the author. It uses the story of the fictional being, Conrad, to portray how the author's life would have turned out if circumstances were different.

Conrad awakens in his childhood home, only everything and everyone looks exactly like it was 25 years ago. He thinks he must be dreaming or imagining things, but the situation continues to linger. A woman appears to Conrad and tells him that the 'Deciders' in heaven have decided to give him another chance at life. Here, he's able to relive his youth, but this time he has the power to change things. Conrad had a dysfunctional childhood upbringing which left him depressed, unfulfilled, and unable to explore his sexuality. Now, he has the chance to do all the things he imagined doing and more. Grab a copy of this book to find out how Conrad lives his new-found life, and if it's permanent or temporary.

I love how this book explores the dysfunctional upbringing many people experience today. Several persons are subject to humiliation, bullying, and repressed sexuality because of public perception. In a bid to please the public or fit into society, many people become something they are not. This takes a huge toll on their mental health and can eventually lead to suicide. I love how the author deals with his experience by writing something positive about it. Although the past cannot be changed, this book helps the author to move forward positively and also helps anyone who's going through something similar to get better.

Many people are still scared of coming out as gay or bisexual, but the author, through this book, sends a strong message of encouragement. I also enjoyed the paranormal aspect of the story. The book's plot was very compelling and it explored several strong themes. The book was constructed perfectly and the characterization was excellent. When Conrad was given a more accepting and non-judgemental family, he was able to live freely. This shows that the attitude families show towards their loved ones regarding their lifestyle plays a huge role in shaping their future and mental health.

I was only able to find one error in the book, which shows that it underwent professional editing. The scenes were also well-developed and the author's choice of words was perfect. The book was able to address some of the major problems several youths face, so I'm rating it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to people who are going through emotional problems and those battling with their sexuality.

Going back twenty five years with a Paranormal Twist.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
KMGR70
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Author: Jeff Menapace
Favorite Book: Wildlife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmgr70.html
Latest Review: Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23616

Post by KMGR70 »

This sounds like a book that many readers may be able to relate to in some way. It's interesting, though, that he was given a completely new family but I supposed many people have often wondered how life would be or would have turned out if things had been different. Thanks for the review! I might add this to my rapidly growing to be read stack.
Tablito
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading: No Dark Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

The book still recognises that the past can't be changed but one can continue with a positive mind after developing the character, Conrad, who is given another chance to find fulfillment by doing things differently from before.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Dissidence
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Reality Games by Tom Reissmann

Post by NetMassimo »

Going back to a key period of someone's own life is a classic trope in fantasy and science fiction. I see that in this case addressing a type of discrimination, with all its consequences on the people who suffer it, is a crucial point. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”