Review by calciumm -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
calciumm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calciumm.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by calciumm -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the ...

Post by calciumm »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Still bringing the fantasy worlds of Caromentis and the Cosmos, We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz is the sixth installment in the series We Are Voulhire. We venture to both the worlds of Caromentis and Cosmos through the perspectives of the different characters.

Most of Voulhire is now under siege by the Emperor of Lullabies. Otherworldly monsters and beasts now roam around the cities. Despite the Emperor not outright attacking civilians, this unusual sight is unsettling to most of the nation’s people. While most of the areas were entirely under control, some cities and people like King Nartik, the Vilendrian, the Chaletherian, and the Eiodi still resist the Emperor. As the story unfolds, the readers find out that the Emperor has more plans for humanity, and his plan has started long before Voulhire is even a nation. Rowan and Demetrius went to Diamora to aid the Mianoran knights with their impending battle with the monsters that the Emperor of Lullabies sent to Voulhire. Galen was on his own in the other world of Caromentis, and he hoped to unite two opposing enemies to work together and save Voulhire from the Emperor. Will Galen succeed in his plans and save Voulhire? Or will Voulhire be ultimately conquered by the Emperor?

Matthew Tysz’s writing keeps getting better and better every book. I like how Tysz balanced both the action, humor, and wit in his story. His way of storytelling keeps the readers hooked. I also like that there are no filler chapters in this book. Every chapter has its weight to the story. Aside from that, I also like how Tysz made his characters relatable. Each character has a distinct personality, insecurities, and flaws, which made them more relatable to the readers. Despite the abundance of characters in the whole series, the readers can remember them because of their distinct personalities. Even characters introduced in the earlier books were easily remembered because of how well Tysz built his characters. I especially like this sixth book as well because we get to explore the perspectives of different women characters too. I like how Lady Angela Velys is portrayed to be a strong and independent, happily married woman, kind of against the notion that a strong independent woman has to be single.

If there is a single thing that I disliked about this book, it would be that one scene with Harper and the young boy. I think it’s a little bit unnecessary since it doesn’t add up to Harper’s character. Hopefully, we will get to know more about her in the next books. Other than that, I’d say that I like the book, and I would give it a 4 out of 4 stars.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that likes reading adventure fantasy books. If you’re familiar with the isekai genre of anime and you liked it, this book would be up in your lane. Warning to some readers as there may be a few trigger warnings in the book. These trigger warnings are about the topic of suicide and rape. If you’re easily triggered by these topics then it might be better to stay away from reading the book.

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”