Review by A Y reviews -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by A Y reviews -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by A Y reviews »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first installment in a series by Matthew Tysz. It is a mouth-watering, magic, and mystery filled introduction to what is sure to be a thrilling science fiction series. I don't know how the author did it, but he managed to leave us feeling satisfied while at the same time, having this urge to find solutions to the myriad of questions posed by this action-packed novel.

The king of Voulhire, our mystical country, out of fear and worry that his sons would one day turn on one another, and eventually try to overthrow him to become the king, sends each of them away to their island. He accompanied each son with lots of money and as much grandeur as was possible, all in a bid to pacify them and change their evil thoughts. But his plans failed woefully. Rather than live in peace and tranquility, an endless civil war broke out threatening to consume the entire kingdom. And this continued until Galen came into the picture.

As the introductory book in the series, Mr. Tysz had the tough challenge of creating a setting that befits the story he wishes to share. I didn't expect the job of creating a brand-new world, as done here, to be easy. But not only did the author get it right, he went ahead to fill it with vibrant, interesting characters. Characters with emotions, flaws, and feelings I could relate with. I found myself loving some and then with equal measure, hating others. This book I can also say was very well written, thanks to the outstanding illustrations and descriptions of the setting.

I like this book for several reasons. First, the issues raised here are genuine world problems. The people of Voulhire were torn by three items bothering our current world; faith, science, and magic. Although ours is politics and not magic. Each of these three as you might have imagined strive to outdo the other. We lack a common ground to thrive and hence find ourselves at odds with each other, choosing sides rather than working for the greater good thus shooting ourselves in the foot.

I found it interesting that the chapters were interchanging between the characters, with each one written in third-person (except the ones about Galen which were written in the first person). The characters were uniquely different and all enchanting in their way. As has been said in many quarters, the character development done here could only be compared to the masterpiece Mr. Martins created for the blockbuster, Ice and Fire. It is that good!

This story is filled with great themes such as conflict, power, betrayal, and love so many others that I feel are relevant to today's society. The author has woven an engaging and fast-paced tale that in my opinion, deserves a screen adaption.

However, I dislike the pace at which the story began. But I could understand this because as the first installment, it needed to disclose a lot of details that would make the sequels enjoyable. It was well written and edited as I didn't find any grammatical or spelling mistakes while reading. I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to all lovers of fantasy, strategy, and war novels.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Meen190
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Meen190 »

I like that as book one of the series, he took his time to develop the necessary iland important areas so that other subsequent books will be easy to follow. Great review too
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by A Y reviews »

Meen190 wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 03:39 I like that as book one of the series, he took his time to develop the necessary iland important areas so that other subsequent books will be easy to follow. Great review too
That is so true. The author did a great job in developing the setting of the book. Thanks for your time
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book. I agree with your points and rating. The succeeding books are also pretty interesting. Great review!
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by A Y reviews »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 12:42 I’ve read this book. I agree with your points and rating. The succeeding books are also pretty interesting. Great review!
Thank you so much for your kind assessment.
Leverage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leverage.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Leverage »

Gothic and modern theme..i like this..thanks for the review
Lunastella
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: My Not-So Secret
Bookshelf Size: 1991
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Depression Where by Briana Isham

Post by Lunastella »

I like this book for several reasons. First, the issues raised here are genuine world problems. The people of Voulhire were torn by three items bothering our current world; faith, science, and magic. Although ours is politics and not magic. Each of these three as you might have imagined strive to outdo the other. We lack a common ground to thrive and hence find ourselves at odds with each other, choosing sides rather than working for the greater good thus shooting ourselves in the foot.
You make an excellent point. I love it when fantasy books approach such topics. It's so easy for us to root for the good guys in literature and it all seems so confusing in the actual world...
What an insightful review! Thank you!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell

Post by Prisallen »

This does, indeed, sound like the beginning of a wonderful series. Thanks for your informative and well-written review!
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

I have recently reviewed this book, and I love your opinion on it. You pointed out really good points about this book. Thanks a lot for the review.
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Return to Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Indeed, the Voulhire universe is very authentic and relatable. I hope you will enjoy the next books as well. Great job with the review!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by A Y reviews »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 04:22 Indeed, the Voulhire universe is very authentic and relatable. I hope you will enjoy the next books as well. Great job with the review!
I am looking forward to reviewing book two already . Thank you for stopping by.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by A Y reviews »

shamayelnur wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 18:23 I have recently reviewed this book, and I love your opinion on it. You pointed out really good points about this book. Thanks a lot for the review.
I just saw your review and it is very cool.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by A Y reviews »

Prisallen wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 17:21 This does, indeed, sound like the beginning of a wonderful series. Thanks for your informative and well-written review!
Thank you for kind words
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by A Y reviews »

Lunastella wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 13:31
You make an excellent point. I love it when fantasy books approach such topics. It's so easy for us to root for the good guys in literature and it all seems so confusing in the actual world...
What an insightful review! Thank you!
Wow, thank you too. I feel elated reading your comment
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by A Y reviews »

Leverage wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 10:17 Gothic and modern theme..I like this..thanks for the review
Thank you too for stopping by

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”