Official Review: Time Warped Travelers Part Two Later Tha...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Official Review: Time Warped Travelers Part Two Later Tha...

Post by casper »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Time Warped Travelers Part Two Later That Month" by Robert Westfall.]
Book Cover for 1543
Share This Review

This is the second book of a fantasy adventure series chronicling the exploits of time travelling Tommy Evans and his friends. Along with his girlfriend and fellow time traveller, Beth Howard, he attempts to help the people he comes across who are generally being exploited, ripped off and then set to lose anything that's left over in the approaching Great Depression.

Most of the action takes place in and around the town of 'Blainesville', Ohio, in the year 1922, although there are frequent excursions forward to the present day to pick up various supplies (whisky, life saving drugs, useful friends and anything else they need from 2012) and to use modern technology (washing machines and the internet). The story spans a few weeks during which Tommy uncovers a scam to embezzle funds from the townsfolk and devises a cunning plan to try to stop the perpetrators.

Although Prohibition is in full swing, Tommy and his friends find imaginative ways to side step the anti-alcohol laws while taking full advantage of the fact that marijuana and cocaine are legal at this period; at times it's hard to see how they are in a fit state to get anything done. Also side tracking him from his good intentions is his relationship with Beth which is very physical, raunchy and frankly gymnastic; recounted in Tommy's words, nothing is left to the imagination. The author does warn in the Prologue that the book is not suitable for readers under the age of eighteen.

Meanwhile, lurking in the background, are two Immortals who put in an appearance from time to time. The good one, Miguel, is there to aid Tommy in his mission to help the needy and deprived people he meets in the past, while the wicked Clock Watcher is out to thwart him and generally make life miserable by his evil deeds.

The author has created a cast of strong, appealing characters. We see them through Tommy's eyes since most of the story is narrated in the first person by him, and his opinions are blunt and often unflattering. The main characters are introduced in the Prologue and, as well as a short description, the author has included contemporary 1920s photographs of them, which is a nice touch.

Tommy himself is quite engaging and is a natural for the part of the lovable rogue. He is self-deprecating, equivocal and aware of his faults; although he finds himself cast as the hero, he is not above bending the law to get what he wants, and he is quite at home in his dealings with the mafia, bootleggers and other irregular entrepreneurs.

The whole tone of this book is humorous and the style is chatty and unpretentious. The language, using Tommy's words, is certainly earthy, but the intention is to amuse rather than offend. Below the surface the author touches on a number of issues, apart from the obvious battle between good and evil, including corruption, hypocrisy and racism.

It was a distinct disadvantage not having read the first book of the series. The Prologue helps a bit by introducing the characters, the setting and some of the events leading up to the point at which this part starts, but it can't explain everything. I'm still in the dark as to the mechanics of time travel or how Tommy first discovered it. This could turn out to be quite a long series as the ending makes it evident that there are more adventures to follow and the possibilities are virtually limitless.

Overall I quite enjoyed this light-hearted romp through time and I have rated the book three out of four stars. The author's / Tommy's sense of humour is apparent throughout; the characters are likeable (at least the good guys are) and I found myself hoping that things go ok for them. There are various interweaving plots and subplots, and some clever twists whereby Tommy gets to meet the antecedents of people he knows in 2012. Unfortunately there were a number of errors in the Kindle version I read which I found rather distracting - hopefully these will be corrected for future editions.

Buy "Time Warped Travelers Part Two Later That Month" on Amazon
robbie 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by robbie 1 »

Thanks to Casper for their great and very fair assessment of my book. It was completely what I expected and I'd send them a Kindle version of part one if they'd want one, on my dime.

Robert Westfall
casper

Post by casper »

robbie 1 wrote:Thanks to Casper for their great and very fair assessment of my book. It was completely what I expected and I'd send them a Kindle version of part one if they'd want one, on my dime.

Robert Westfall

Thank you - I hope my review gives other readers a good idea of your book. And I'd like to take you up on that offer to read part one. I reckon the meeting between Tommy and Beth must have been pretty momentous.

Congratulations on creating such memorable characters. I wish you every success with the rest of the series.
robbie 1

Post by robbie 1 »

Okay Casper, I'll send you a free Kindle of TWT part one. just let me know how to send it.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

This looks different, and rather humorous. Great review. Let us know how the first book compares to the second.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
casper

Post by casper »

I enjoyed both books, but have to say I preferred the second. Although the first book is written in the same easy-to-read, humorous style (slightly more restrained!), by the second book the characters are even more developed and the plot and sub-plots more complex. It would be interesting to know whether the author: 1) meticulously planned every episode when he first conceived the idea of the story; 2) had a general idea of where the main story was heading and sorts out the details at the start of each book; or 3) had no idea at all and just writes it as it comes into his head.
robbie 1

Post by robbie 1 »

# 3 is more like my style. I had a beginning and an end, but the middle came to me week by week. I hate outlines; they've never worked for me. I much prefer to let my wild-ass imagination run wild. Thanks, Casper, for taking the time to read it.

Rob
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

This sounds fun and interesting. I'll have to give it a try.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It sounds like a fun read. According to you, it is better to start from the first book to understand the background. I am glad you enjoyed the book and hope the errors you have mentioned were fixed up by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I think the setting and humor of this book sounds promising. But I don't think it would be worth it to start with the second book. Interesting review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a pretty interesting story. I love that there is time travel involved, but there is also humor. Humor makes the world go around. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CMclaren
Currently Reading: E M P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by CMclaren »

This book was a real hit. The storyline was very interesting. If you are interested in science fiction stories this book is definitely for you.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounds like a hoot and a very fun read. I'll have to look up part one and then maybe I'll tackle this one as well. Thanks for the review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your thorough review. The book doesn't seem like my cup of tea due to it having several errors and not good as a standalone. Glad you liked the book despite the issues you mentioned.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Sounds like an interesting and entertaining tale of time travel. I think I would read the first in the series. Thanks for the great interpretation of the book!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”