Official Review: The Verse of Estoria

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Love on the way to area 51 by Leonid Alt

Official Review: The Verse of Estoria

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Verse of Estoria" by Donald v. Parker III.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The science fiction book,The Verse of Estoria: Ignite by Donald V. Parker III is Book One in the series. Drake and his Grandmother, Griselda, are enslaved and starving in the Dalmecian Quarry. They were told that someone in their village had been responsible for killing the Dalmecian Queen, and all residents are imprisoned. Griselda teaches Drake how to fight with a sword in preparation for the day they escape from the prison walls. One day Alterneans attack the quarry and kill everyone except Drake, who is saved by his Grandmother. Before she dies, she tells Drake he has to go to her homeland of Estoria, and he will receive all of her powers, which she hopes will let him fix her mistakes. Estoria is the birthplace of all inhabitants of Endina. Drake has no idea where Estoria is located but starts walking. Will he find Estoria? Why is Estoria so important? What dangers will he encounter? Will the Alterneans catch him? What were Griselda’s powers and mistakes?

The author takes the reader on an adventure-packed journey that revolves around lizardmen, dragons, golems, cougars, were-animals, shapeshifting, famine, giant snakes, and verse mage. Through all the perils, the author intermingles many life lessons for us to learn. I will discuss one of the lessons, but you will need to read the book to learn the others. Change is required to obtain the path of life’s rewards. Many times during a person’s life, obstacles come up, and you have to make changes in your lifestyle to overcome them. Whether in the workforce or in your general life you have to be open to change. If you do not like something in your life if you are open to change you can make a difference.

The thing I liked best in this book was how Drake recalled his Grandmother’s teachings throughout the book. No matter what he was going through, he remembered what his grandmother taught him. I also liked the map at the beginning of the book showing where Salatia, Alternea, and Dalmecia are located. It helped me picture Drake’s travels. There was nothing I disliked about the book. The cliffhanger ending makes me want to read the second book in the series.

I recommend this book to any science-fiction reader who likes lots of shapeshifting and other magic. There is very little mild profanity which makes the book appropriate for both teenagers and adults.

Although the author wrote this book in a flowing manner that kept my interest from beginning to end, I was disappointed that I found errors that would have been found by a professional editor. For example, missing or wrong punctuation, missing words, misspelled words, and unneeded words. Due to these errors, I can only give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Verse of Estoria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
RHD
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by RHD »

Drake seems to have had quite the adventure. I also like that there were a couple of life lessons to be learnt, like change is inevitable. Thank you for such a great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Martisian Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Seeds of Akara by David LaPiana

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel targeted at young adults, so I might be a bit old to read it, but some life lessons can be useful at any age. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
AtienoMagero
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atienomagero.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by AtienoMagero »

Great review! I like your summary of this book. The only confusing thing is all the names you mentioned. But otherwise this seems like an interesting book to read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”