Review by Ayo7 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under G...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ayo7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayo7.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Ayo7 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under G...

Post by Ayo7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray leaves his homeland for the kingdom of Voulhire in search of greener pastures. His uncle who made this journey possible, dies before Galen can reach the kingdom. Before he dies, however, he claims Galen as heir to his fortune, as well as the master of his forge. Galen is saddened by his uncle's death but his grief quickly subsides as Voulhire turns out to be all he has heard and dreamed of. Galen is grateful to Voulhire as the land that has granted him freedom from the travails in his wartorn homeland and he vows with all his power to one day earn that freedom.

Lord Eldus Alderman arrives in a small town in southern Voulhire. He has been appointed as Lord to the town by the King. He is happy with his new post, but the town has had a horrific past with the previous Lords and Lord Alderman has to do all he can to gain the trust of the people. But will he be able to do so when his life and that of his family might just be in danger of a looming evil the kingdom has overlooked?

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first novel in the We Are Voulhire series written by Matthew Tysz. It is of the fantasy genre and is narrated from the point of view of the protagonists. Its chapters are short, barely a few pages long with each designated to a particular character. The writing style was kept simple, though it had some word-building which would one would have been accustomed to by the end of the novel.

I really loved this novel as it contained exactly what I expected to find in a fantasy series. The plot and premise were very interesting and were obviously very well-thought-out. The choice of characters was commendable, and I really found them relatable especially the protagonists.

The novel was intriguing as well, constantly keeping you guessing and on your toes. Though it was slow in pace at the onset, the novel did pick up and sped through to the end. The descriptions were nicely done, and details were well pictured, lending the novel an altogether very clear imagery.

I would recommend this novel to ardent readers of the fantasy genre as no fantasy fan should miss out on this series. Readers of other forms of fiction should also find it enjoyable depending on each's threshold though for the fantasy genre. There are also certain details left out purposefully in the novel and this is just the author ensuring readers pick up the other books in the series to continue to enjoy the story. So for full reading satisfaction I'll advise readers to also search for and read the sequels. There is also some profanity thrown around, so I wouldn't recommend it for younger readers.

I give this novel a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I found nothing at all wrong with it as the series couldn't have been started more perfectly. It was compelling, interesting, and is completely worth reading a sequel for. It was also well-edited and I didn't observe any errors whatsoever. For readers interested in starting a fantasy series, this should definitely be picked up.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”