Review by Olgamiell -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Olgamiell -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Olgamiell »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After reading Timewise, I can honestly say that this is not a typical sci-fi book. Robert Leet created a story that plays with reality using theories of a variety of well-known physicians and mathematicians. There is quite a lot of quantum physics, but it should not discourage anyone, as it is all explained easily. Well, sort of explained. The author himself mentioned that this is "a speculative science." But it is not just a story about physics. It is a story, and a very engaging one, for that matter.

The plot follows the life and carrier of Ron, a boy born and raised in Massachusetts. He is an orphan, and while he has no close relatives nor friends, he appears to be doing well in school. Encouraged by one of his teachers, he discovers that he has a chess talent. Soon, playing chess after school in a local community becomes his favorite activity. One summer afternoon, during one of those chess matches, he meets Regina Russo. Brilliant and mysterious, with quite an unorthodox approach towards physics, Regina is a professor at the local university. She intrigues the boy, as the conversation they strike is far more interesting than casual small talk. It turns out that the woman teaches some classes at Ron's school, so as they meet more often, they become friends. Regina insists that Ron is unusually talented, and with a mind as sharp as his, he should pursue his interest in math. When he goes to college, the two begin to meet more regularly, mostly to discuss physics theories. That is when Ron discovers that his and Regina's explanations for the universe are two different ones. And who knows, maybe hers is the more accurate one.

Even though the book about quantum physics theories may seem complicated or even discouraging to some, I found Timewise to be a great story. Physics theories blend with the engaging plot. The story goes smoothly and naturally, with some unexpected twists and turns. I also liked the characters created by Robert Leet. Even secondary ones are intriguing, and they stay in memory for a while. So while science plays a big part in the novel, I also had a great time getting to know the story of Ron's life.

I also appreciate the fact that the book contains some illustrations to help the readers keep up with Regina's theories. I especially liked the fact that the author decided to include them; it seemed very thoughtful. I must admit that few times I had to google some scientists (like Alan Guth and his rapid inflation theory), but it only inspired me to refresh my knowledge. The book has some great analogies to everyday life that are very helpful for comprehending some quantum physics bit. Therefore, I honestly think that imagination, rather than advanced science skills, is essential to enjoy this book.

Timewise is a dynamic and captivating story. It has a great flow, and the action develops smoothly and naturally. The book also seems to be professionally edited. Thanks to that, the reading experience was even more pleasant. I was impressed by the fact of how well-written this book is. I only found two typos, both rather insignificant. There are almost no profanities (I found only one f-word throughout the whole book) and no obscenities whatsoever. There is slightly erotic content, but those few scenes don't seem exaggerated. I think it will be suitable for everyone, from young adults to older readers. It is not a science book, so I think it should be enjoyable not only for the science-fiction fans but for the wider audience. It is crucial to keep in mind how important the role of quantum physics is, so there will be some theories, but they won't dominate the book.

I happily rate Timewise 4 out of 4 stars. I can't think of anything that I would dislike in this novel. Even though I had to use Wikipedia a few times, it was interesting, not annoying. Robert Leet wrote a captivating, original story, and even though there is a lot of physics, I wasn't bored even once during the reading. Overall, it may not be as great for those who like their sci-fi books packed with intergalactic battles, but I'm sure it will be a remarkable book for all those with a vivid imagination, who sometimes get lost in thoughts wondering "what if."

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Atropos by John Japuntich
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Although at first glance a story with this much science in it wouldn't be appealing to me, it sounds like this is a really interesting and well-written book. Thanks for a great review!
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Broken (The Lost Words: Volume 2)
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by raluca_mihaila »

The book is on my list, and I am so anxious to read it, after reading your review. Thank you for your recommendation!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”