Official Review: Heaven Above Us by Richard Tyson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Heaven Above Us by Richard Tyson

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heaven Above Us" by Richard Tyson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heaven Above Us by Richard Tyson is the second book of the Spirit Life Sci-fi Adventure Series. It tells of the story of Faith Dyer, who has just awakened in Gannicus, an off-world planet, in the year 2038. She was born in colonial America in the seventeenth century, abducted, tortured, and put in a cryogenic state by a highly advanced alien race known as the Mantis. They are an evolved insect species who use humans as mercenaries and slaves in their wars. The Gannicuns, who are also fighting for their freedom from the Mantis, saved Faith and bestowed upon her powers to defeat the Mantis, re-unite their feuding tribes, and free earth from torment.

The Gannicuns are a race of supernatural and spiritual beings that have passed on from the physical realms. They draw their power and abilities from the Creator. Faith meets archangel Metatron, who fills her with spiritual gifts necessary to prepare her for the imminent war. To aid her is her son Trueman Dyer, who is also a marvel in his own right, and her fiancé Prince Bodhidharma. Trueman’s DNA contains angel energy and unknown alien genetic markers; he is highly gifted with continually evolving physical and supernatural capabilities. Bodhidharma also has a Sentinel angel within him, making him powerful too. Both men additionally command various armies and allies that will help in the fight against the Mantis. This fight will prove to be full of surprises and threaten to drain them of their essence and lives.

The book is pleasantly descriptive, taking the reader through unimaginable technological advancements and ingenuity, tactical warfare, and various unique landscapes. The vivid nature of the descriptions allows for visualization and one to experience the interplanetary travels and imagine the several beings depicted. The characters are numerous, but each is unique and distinctly contributes to the development of the plot. Their distinguishing physical attributes and personality traits are also in exquisite descriptions.

The aspect of the book I enjoyed most is how the author combines science and Biblical teachings. The depiction of angels and Heaven combine with human nature and scientific developments into one powerful and pure entity, like Faith. However, I felt the author rushed the characters, introducing them quickly and with no in-depth background as to their origin. Additionally, there are instances of repetition of stories, for example, how Trueman and Bodhidharma came to be. This is stated more than twice.

The book is excellently edited; I found only two grammatical and spelling errors. The language employed is intelligible, and the scientific terms carefully explained, enabling anyone to comprehend them. The book also has no instance of profanities, therefore, suitable for any interested reader. However, the book may not appeal to all readers since it heavily references Christianity (teachings about Heaven and spirituality) and specifically the Quakers denomination. Nevertheless, the issue of character development takes away from the depth and flow of the storyline. I, therefore, award Heaven Above Us a rating of 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to those looking for an intriguing alien-themed novel with some thought-provoking concepts on spirituality.

Heaven Above Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

This is such a great review, so detailed. So science and biblical teachings in one book? Sounds like a fun read.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
ValeriaU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by ValeriaU »

I love aliens, but I'm not that into religion. The book sounds a little convoluted for my taste. The review was really good though. Very easy to understand and explained very well the book.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I have mixed feelings about this series because it has some interesting elements but mixing religion and science fiction is tricky. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

NetMassimo wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 08:55 I have mixed feelings about this series because it has some interesting elements but mixing religion and science fiction is tricky. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
It is an interesting book, I've also never read such a combination. But it work. Thank you for your kind comments.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:

Post by Guda Lydia »

ValeriaU wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 09:56 I love aliens, but I'm not that into religion. The book sounds a little convoluted for my taste. The review was really good though. Very easy to understand and explained very well the book.
Thank you for your kind comments.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:

Post by Guda Lydia »

Wamakima wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 03:31 This is such a great review, so detailed. So science and biblical teachings in one book? Sounds like a fun read.
Thank you. I was also shocked that the two can combine. It is definitely an interesting read.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like quite an interesting book! Thank you for your engaging review and recommendation!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”