Review by Gift5 -- Shield Down by William de Berg

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Review by Gift5 -- Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shield Down" by William de Berg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shield Down by William De Burg is one of the most interesting sci-fi books I have read. James Alan Templeton, a professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder, and Nicholas Pavlich, an evolutionary biologist, had written a famous article for Science America in 2018 that discussed the contribution of interstellar events to mass extinctions. At the time, the article also referred to as Templeton’s doomsday paper became a highly controversial work and destroyed Templeton’s reputation in the astrophysical community at large. Despite the controversies, contradictions, and criticisms the paper faced, it also sparked and brought to light a very frightening reality of global extinction and questioned the legitimacy of the National Aeronautics Space Agency's (NASA's) quest for life on other planets. The ability of humans to survive outside the Earth’s atmosphere was questioned, and so was space travel.

In light of all these, Templeton and Bazany wanted to make a difference, do something for humanity, and set the record straight. Professor Templeton’s graduate student, John Fredrick Bazany, was ready to put his doctorate on the line to get the truth after discovering that everything he had been told all his life was a lie. The question is, what would he find as the truth, and would it be worth it? Despite the catastrophic threat to humanity and the possible extinction of life, it seems no one is willing to do anything about it except Bazany. He attempts to carry out the most important project in human history, seeking those who would support with sweat and dollars. Will humanity survive? And if they do, what would life be like on Earth after?

The story is one with a lot of historical facts. Although it is fictional, the historical references seemed to add life to the plot. It entails a lot of astronomical facts and historical references. The author did a very nice job with the timing of the story, going back and forth between the past and present. The author was able to get the readers engaged emotionally as well as intellectually. The plot was centered around the survival instinct of humanity. The author was able to lunch his readers several years into the future. The characters were nicely crafted with nice backstories highlighting their importance to the story.

The entire book was divided into chapters, making it easy to follow the story. The font style and character spacing of the text were also nice and added to the reading pleasure of the book. Although there was no cover in the book as was shown on the website, there is also no graphic representation of any kind in the book, but getting a mental idea of the picture the author was passing across was not difficult because of the detailed description of the events in the book.

William De Burg makes use of a very nice and steady growing pace. As I read, I found myself caught between the pages, wanting to know what was going to happen next. I found the astrophysical outlook and conspiracy theories of the story most fascinating. The use of a third-person narrative style helped bring the entire picture together. The author was able to bring together love, hate, friendship, loyalty, patriotism, and duty in balanced proportions.

For me, Shield Down by William De Burg earned a 4 out of 4 rating due to the author’s outstanding imaginative and creative writing and attention to detail. Also, there is nothing I disliked about the book. Although I found some minor errors, they were not in any way distracting, and there was no use of profane words in the entire book. The book is soothed for readers, both young and old alike, especially those with an affinity for astronomy.

Shield Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your intriguing review. As a fan of astronomy and sci-fi, I think this book can be an enjoyable read for me.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Sou Hi wrote: ↑15 Dec 2020, 23:53 Thanks for your intriguing review. As a fan of astronomy and sci-fi, I think this book can be an enjoyable read for me.
It sure will, do enjoy and thanks for stopping by.
zainherb
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by zainherb »

It is so interesting to read your thoughts about a book I've also reviewed.
I too enjoyed this book very much.

Great review!
:techie-reference:
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

Sounds like an absolutely adictive novel and I'm really interested in reading the book. Thanks for the recommendation!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”