Review by HR Stanley -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HR Stanley
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Murder in Mesoptamia
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hr-stanley.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by HR Stanley -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by HR Stanley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Timewise by Robert Leet is about Ron Larsen who meets Regina Russo an avid physics teacher who mentors him from unambitious teenager to mathematics millionaire. We see him grow up, meet friends and girlfriends, but he never forgets Regina who he has loved from the first moment he saw her over a chessboard. After years of not being in touch, Regina contacts Ron asking for his help. From then on, he becomes entangled in the impossible physics experiments she is conducting.

The essence of the plot is what happens when dreams are followed to the bitter end. Add in secrecy, a lot of physics, the dance of life, the hope to see the future, and you have a mixture of watching dreams lead to an unplanned ending which is open to many possibilities.
The plot to, begin with, was one that lay down the groundwork of the physics on which Regina builds her dreams. I found this hard to follow, as I came to the subject with little understanding. The explanations did help my understanding of the subject and the direction in which Regina was heading in with her experiments on time. Yet by the end of this section of the plot, I was mentally tired from the struggle to understand physics. It however did not put me off from reading the rest of the book as I wanted to see where Ron and Regina’s lives were heading.

Ron’s life was a joy to discover, he grew from a teenager with little care for life, to a man who saw the value as a person all those he met. We watch as he grew from a reluctant student to an avid one who then went onto change his chosen field in life. We watch him grow from a city boy with no knowledge or care for the outdoors to a man who although may not love the outdoors came to appreciate its restfulness through the insights of his biology PhD student girlfriend.
He possesses a depth to him which revealed his soul and helped to shine the light on all those around him, who he showed us in all their fullness. Except for Regina who although rounded had an air of consistently withholding something as if she held a huge secret that only time would tell.
The descriptions in the book aided me to envision an America I have little knowledge of. The houses, college, and outdoors came to life and I could see myself walking through them alongside Ron and his friends. The underground world of the college and the town made me wonder what unknown world may be tucked under my feet where I live and work.

There are some mild scenes of sex and violence. Although this is a book full of physics, it is also a story of life and I would recommend anyone who enjoys sci-fi or relationship stories to give it a go. I feel though some academics may find the ‘alternative’ physics hard to believe.

I rate this book 4/4 for the wonderful story that Ron’s life and the intertwining of lives around him, as well as the for me the thought-provoking ending.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”