Review by Josep22 -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Josep22 -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Josep22 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In my review of the first book in the series, We are Voulhire, I made a strong claim that it reminded me of Game of Thrones. Well, I'm not about to rescind on that statement after reading this one too. We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz is another classic on the series. Galen still has too much stuff he hasn't seen,known and experienced about his new home. We find out the obvious fact that, just like any other country in the universe, Voulhire is not a perfect place. It's probably not even close to perfection.

Galen Bray, this time in the company of Rowan and Demetrius, embarks on a journey to Voulhire's capital, Soulhire. Meldorath had just ascended to the role of Eiodi and had plans to obtain confidential information which would jeorpadise the well-being of the country. Galen and his friends, therefore, head to Soulhire to seek the audience of the King on this issue of Meldorath. They plan to find the king, Wilhem, at an event in the capital. It is at this event that things go south, the city faces an attack by strange creatures from the land of Princes which ends up with the King dead. You must be curious, will Meldorath succeed with his plans? Will Galen and his friends survive this attack? Well there is only one way to find out, getting yourself a copy.

I absolutely enjoyed reading this one. The style of writing was great. This time Rowan and Demetrius also got to do the narration and the end product was amazing. Isn't it really nice when we can get different perspectives of the same story, from different characters, and in one book? I loved the plot of the story and how it flowed, but most importantly, I loved the story itself. In as much as the book is fictitious, it was relatable to a major extent and I absolutely loved this aspect about it.

The development of characters in this book was impeccable. Rowan and Demetrius, for instance, were better described and relayed to us in this book than in any other book in the series. This probably had to do with the style Matthew used in the writing of this one. I also found the character of Meldorath quite interesting and likeable. It sounds really crazy but, yea, I loved how this character was presented to us. His rise from prison to the position of Eiodi with so much power, zeal and determination was unmatched. It takes a great writer to make a likeable character out of those acts.

I could not point at one thing I hated about this book. It was professionally edited as I found very few errors which did not stop me from enjoying the book. There is use of profanity in the book and some sexual words too that were, however, not erotic. I loved this book and, therefore, gave it a deserved perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to all lovers of fiction who have read the first two books in the series as this cannot be read as a stand-alone. You'll definitely enjoy this one.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This is a great book from a great series. Awesome review!
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Wow, you recognized it in the first book, it wasn´t until this one that it reminded me of Game of Thrones, but I agree. Thanks for the great review
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Judy46
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

I read the first book and judging from your review, I am looking forward to reading the second book as well. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”