Review by Nixk -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nixk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nixk.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by Nixk -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nixk »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Timewise is one heck of a book if you are a science buff. I couldn't get enough. The author, Robert Leet, takes the opportunity to explore the element of time and space, using theories across disciplines like mathematics and physics. The discussion on using past occurrences of impact and the time of said impact to determine future trends intrigued me. By the time we got round to replicating this into predicting future stock trends, I was a goner.

The protagonist in the story is a young man, Ron Larson, with a very limited plan for his future. He grew up being transferred from foster home to foster home. From this, he learned not to put too much stock in anything. His most elaborate plan for his future was learning how to play chess, and later on poker, so well that he would earn from it in Las Vegas. This plan changed gradually after Professor Regina Russo took an interest in him. She offered to pay him to attend school. She saw his potential and encouraged him to go to college. Larson worked hard to join the classes she taught and to earn as much as possible from her. Eventually, he took an interest in mathematics and the physics theories she loved to discuss with him whenever they met.

I loved every aspect of the book. It was like reading a physics textbook but on a lighter note. The story of Ron Larson's development from a guy who desired nothing big from life to the person who worked on predicting the future through science would encourage many who feel aimless. All he required was a little provocation, and he pushed his set boundaries to their limits. I found this a lesson that would benefit many. That we are the only impediment to our success.

The ending was unexpected but not disappointing. I had made assumptions about Professor Russo's involvement in Ron Larson's life, which turned out to be off.

What I enjoyed most was the author's phrasing of sentences. He spun them into a profound revelation, although they explained a simple phenomenon. For instance, he wrote, "if a subject couldn’t be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn’t meaningfully understood by the expert either". There were many such instances of deep musings, especially from introspective moments from Larson since the story was told from his point of view.

I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. It surpassed all my imaginations. I found only four grammatical errors, so I think it was professionally edited. I recommend it to lovers of quantum physics and analytical mathematics.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”