Review by Noelle+ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Noelle+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Noelle+ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Noelle+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As humans, we are sometimes sure of that fact that we are the only beings that live. The possibility of life elsewhere or alternate worlds seems like a stupid thought to some. Perhaps, all that we are told not believe like magic, monsters or even ghosts, are the things we choose to ignore simply because we may not completely understand it. This ideology or concept rather, is challenged by Matthew Tysz in the book We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies.

Voulhire, a land that is prosperous and vast, has seen many tragedies in its past. In Voulhire, there are many cities but the one in question is Hillport. A city that has seen its great leaders betray it and its people. The King of Voulhire has appointed a new Lord over the city of Hillport in hopes to heal the people of their pain that had been brought about by Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath, two men who had only abused their position of power. Simultaneously, in the city of Magnum Caelum, a man named Galen Bray arrives from the Land of the Princes. A land that was stripped of its beauty due to the war that has left it destitute. Galen never thought he would leave the Land of the Princes as there was not much to look forward to when you live in a place that is in severe poverty and where the people merely survive until they die. He, however, got the opportunity to move to greener pastures once he found out that his Uncle had left his estate and savings to him after he died. The book follows both the new Lord and Galen Bray as they both venture out into new territory but not without difficulty as they have not factored in an important thing: Caromentis. The magical universe.

This is a book about bravery and curiosity when it comes the main characters. I enjoyed this book because the structure was easy to follow as when it jumps from what is happening in both places, it has their names as the title of the chapter. The author provided a glossary so that there is a clear understanding of the terms used in the book before you start reading it because it may cause some confusion. I do wish that there was a better ending in order to be able to comfortably lead into the next book of the series. It felt a bit abrupt towards the end.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I thought that it was well written and easy to understand even for someone who may not be interested in the fantasy genre. Even though it is fantasy, it is quite comforting to see the similarities between Voulhire and the world that we live in today. The combination of having elements of the characters and their situations being one that we can understand and with that of new concepts, makes it a great read.

I would highly recommend this book to people who love fantasy but I should say that it would be suitable for an audience that is older than 15 because of some of the language as well as some of the imagery used in certain instances that may offend younger audiences. I would also not recommend it for someone who is offended by slightly religious content. Overall, it is well worth the read.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”