Review by JillieBean 1203 -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JillieBean 1203
Currently Reading: Sharp Objects
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jilliebean-1203.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by JillieBean 1203 -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by JillieBean 1203 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A great science-fiction story, though with more emphasis on the science aspect than fiction. I rate it a 4 out of 4. Though there were a couple instances that made me think of a science class textbook (i.e. the parts depicting diagrams and graphs), it did little to minimize the enjoyment of the read as a whole. It was not as fast-paced as other science-fiction novels I have read, which may have made it more enjoyable due to its cerebral aspect. Throughout the book, I only caught one typo, an unnecessary quotation mark on page 43.

Tiimewise, as stated above, is a cerebral read, more in the vein of a Jules Verne than a Star Wars or Star Trek novel. There are no lasers on full power, space battles, or anything of that nature, which a lot of people think of when they hear the word science-fiction. This does not make Timewise any less a part of that genre, though. The method the characters use as a " time-travel device " is truly ingenious. It gave me the feeling that I was reading a mix-up of The Time Machine and The Wolf of Wall Street.

Now, for the characters: at the beginning, Ron Larson is a 14-year-old chess prodigy and ward of the state since before his earliest memories. His character made me really think about all the children in the world who are in foster homes and eligible for adoption, but remain in state custody for some reason or another. Throughout the opening, I was wondering what personality traits would have been different if one of the foster families had adopted him. Would he also have formed the same attachments with other characters, or would he have formed relationships with different friends? However, this may have made the book unrealistic since characters need to experience some form of hardship in order to truly grow and develop.

However, why did Regina Russo - the other main character - not adopt him? She was invested in his future to such an extent as to pay him for every "A" he received while in college. And though I never got "motherly" vibes from her, it would have given her a legitimate reason to concern herself over his academics, lifestyle and careep. But I am glad she and Ron remained friends and colleagues only. Too many books and movies have the male and female leads becoming romantically attached. Another thing I liked about her character was that she broke away from the stereotypical ditzy blonde, which is also found too many times in books, and especially movies.

I enjoyed this book greatly, and the characters were in my thoughts for hours after I finished. Though a part of me would like to read a sequel - what if Regina did not die, but was actually transported through time? - I realize that Timewise is fine on its own. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys science fiction/drama.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”