Review by kasfy_allama -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kasfy_allama
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasfy-allama.html
Latest Review: Chronic Heavy Metal Poisoning vs. Your Health by Dr. David Maloney

Review by kasfy_allama -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by kasfy_allama »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book of the We are Voulhire sequel. This is the second Sci-Fi book I have ever read. I am glad that I have a chance to read this book as it is beautifully written and has unique characters and places. This book is more like an introduction to the sequel. Overall, it contains three main ideas: 1) the complicated situations of Voulhire, 2) the possession of Caromentis (the magic universe), and 3) Galen Bray’s new life. Even in the book description written that Galen was the main character, in this book he was still an ordinary man who just moved to Voulhire, specifically to a city of pebblestones named Magnum Caleum.

Most of the chapters in this book were written by using the third-person point of view. The only chapters written by using the first-person’s are those about Galen Bray’s journey. Galen described as an innocent and sensitive young man from the Land of the Princes who kept his grandmother’s words:
See the good in everything, and the best of it will find you.
Even he came from a city where the war never ended, he highly respected other people, especially the old ones. I like a moment when Galen bravely spoke to a foreman in Alcovia (the mining town) after he saw the foreman treat the old-inferior workers badly. Even in this real world, someone like Galen is rare. That’s why Galen’s character is the thing I liked most from this book.

Honestly, several times I have to flip the book pages back and forth and search on the internet during the reading to fully understand the story. It's because of strange terms, advanced words, and metaphors inside. But I think the use of advanced words and metaphors made the book beautiful. They have fit the kingdom-themed book and gave a classy nuance. Besides, I appreciated the author due to the presence of a glossary at several last pages of the book, which contains definitions of the strange words related to Voulhire. But to be honest, I prefer some footnotes rather than a glossary for easier reading. Many characters with different place setting and situation that involved in the book may also contribute to my confusion. But I deeply understand that the author tends to make this introductory detail but concise. I think this book is informative enough as an introduction. It contains basics information and some necessary details, raises some questions, and hides mysteries. No doubt, the questions may answered if the readers read the other books of the sequel.

There is nothing I hated most about this book. Initially, I am not into a magic-related book at all, but surprisingly this book won my heart. For me, the most attractive magic described in this book is bio magic, which is related to body manipulation.

Based on my explanation about this book, I gladly rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those who love science fiction, especially related to kingdom, magic, multiple universe, and humanity. If you are not a fan of those things, it also okay if you want to give this book a try as I do. I would not recommend this book to children due to the presence of inappropriate words and violent descriptions.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Iconicsmt »

This is a beautiful review and the Voulhire series sounds better and better the more I hear about it. I definitely look forward to checking it out. Thank you!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
kasfy_allama
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasfy-allama.html
Latest Review: Chronic Heavy Metal Poisoning vs. Your Health by Dr. David Maloney

Post by kasfy_allama »

Thank you! Go get yourself a try and enjoy the reading.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”