Review by Echezonachukwu -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by Echezonachukwu -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by Echezonachukwu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are a lover of great fictional books, then this book We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is for you. There are lots of different characters to look-out for in the book, some with supernatural powers and others were normal human beings. The story happened in a fictional kingdom – Voulhire. Before we proceed, it’s good to note that this book is the first among the We are Voulhire series. Okay, why don’t we take a brief tour of this amazing book?

The book started by showing a comprehensive map of the Voulhire kingdom. Giving readers the privilege to imagine the positions of where things are; the cities, rivers, mountains. That was a smart move by the author to help the readers flow along with the story. Let’s talk about a few notable characters in the book. We have King Wilhelm who is the ruler of Voulhire. He was quite successful, and his subjects looked up to him. On the other hand, he had oppositions he needs to defect. Will he conquer? And then, there is his son – Darius. He is the heir to the throne. Does he have the attributes to ascend the throne just like his father? Well, you will have to find out. There was also Eldus who had good friendships with children. Also, meet Lord Meldorath a powerful mage who was mysterious. He suppressed the residents of Voulhire under serious panic. Later, we saw the news of his death but whether he was actually dead remains a mystery. You’ll have to find out.

I know with all the characters mentioned above, you might be wondering, who’s the protagonist? Okay, let’s talk about him – Galen. Yes, Galen Bray is a young man from the Land of the Princes, a war-stricken land. He left his town for a little town known as Magnum Caelum in Voulhire to claim his inheritance. His uncle, Onita had left his business and his house for him. Along the line, he met Rowan who became his friend. Rowan knew his uncle – Onita, and also he helped him to settle down in Voulhire. As time went on, Galen settled in. Thus, the story began. And yes, I forgot to mention the popular River Nubere, how the author crafted the description for this river got me wondering. Well, you’ll have to get this book to see things for yourself. Especially, if you are a fictional story-lover.

There were lots of things I liked about this book. To start with, I enjoyed how the author developed the characters in the book. That way, I related more to the book. Then, the author’s choice of words and manner of description were very commendable. Take for instance, how he described River Nubere. I appreciated Galen’s character. He came from nothing and developed into a significant personality. I also liked how the author introduced new mysterious characters at each point in the story. That way, he had his readers wondering what their new roles will be. The book was full of suspense.

Well, there were just a few things I disliked about the book. I had slight issues with some of the sentence structures therein. In as much as I liked how the author introduced new characters, at a point, I got confused and tired of it. Some characters seemed a bit irrelevant to the plot-line. This factor also prevented me from identifying the main focus of the book easily.

Conclusively, I found the book professionally edited though I discovered a few typos and grammatical errors. But yet, that will not prevent me from giving the book 4 out of 4 stars. In the course of reading this book, I discovered a few vulgar and profane languages. Therefore, I strongly recommend it for adults only. And finally, this book would be a love-to-read for all fictional and fantasy book-lovers.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Return to Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Welcome to the Voulhire universe! I hope you find the next books more and more interesting. Great job with the review!
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

raluca_mihaila wrote: ↑11 Dec 2020, 06:13 Welcome to the Voulhire universe! I hope you find the next books more and more interesting. Great job with the review!
Thank You
Nedbrian
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

I admire how elaborate your review was. It showed how detailed you were in searching the writers intent. Great work you've done here and I look forward to reading this book in the near future.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”