Official Review: Raven Book 1 : Birth Into Darkness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Official Review: Raven Book 1 : Birth Into Darkness

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raven Book 1 : Birth Into Darkness" by WJR Parks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's 1776, and Raven isn't a normal girl. Unlike most girls during that time period, she doesn't just want to learn sewing and singing. She loves mathematics and reading. On her thirteenth birthday, her family is attacked ... by a vampire. After being bitten, vampire hunters stumble upon her. They should kill her so that she doesn't turn into a vampire herself. Instead, James decides to keep her and use her to track down other vampires. Raven finds herself in the middle of a war that she has no stake in. Still only thirteen at heart, it's kill or be killed. Will Raven survive this deadly new existence?

Raven Book 1: Birth Into Darkness by WJR Parks is a science fiction/fantasy novel. There's a sprinkling of erotic scenes, some profanity, and quite a bit of violence and gore. Therefore, I would not recommend this for those under eighteen years of age. In addition, faith is mentioned here and there throughout the book. Though not specific to a certain faith, it does lean towards Christianity. If you are anti-religion, this isn't the novel for you.

As far as vampire fiction goes, there's nothing new under the sun. Indeed, most of what's written here is quite cliche. The vampires can't go out in the sun. They cannot enter without an invitation. The list goes on. However, that's not to say this wasn't an interesting read. I very much enjoyed it.

What did I most enjoy you ask? By far, the characters. Raven struggles with her new nature. Is her soul now damned? Is she evil? There are also those characters that you love to hate. Samuel, a vampire hunter, was - though supposedly doing the Lord's work - purely evil in my opinion. Each character had their own personality and motivation, the way all good characters should. It was the best part of the novel.

Furthermore, the author's writing style was descriptive and easy to read. It was easy to picture what was happening. "Ecstatic waves washed through every parched and hollow vein; shock, pleasure reverberated in my muscles as they breathed once more to life." Though graphic at times, how do you have a vampire story without gore?

The only issue with the book was the editing. Proofread well at the beginning, the further I went into the story the more errors I found. Mostly, these seemed to be typographical errors like "trial" instead of "trail." Not extremely plentiful, there were more than ten.

It's worth mentioning, also, that this is a book one. As such, not every aspect of the story is complete. There was a satisfying enough conclusion that I don't know if I would label this as a cliffhanger; still, I really must find out what happens next.

All said, this is a book I would recommend to those that enjoy a good vampire novel. As such, I rate Raven Book 1: Birth Into Darkness 3 out of 4 stars. I had to remove a star due to the errors I found. If gory, violent, vampire-filled novels don't excite you, this isn't the book for you. I can't wait to see what else Mr. Parks comes up with!

Raven Book 1 : Birth Into Darkness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
kaivalya_k
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaivalya-k.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by kaivalya_k »

I liked the cover. But I don’t much enjoy sci-fi novels, so I would pass.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Alice's Ego by Alice Sanza
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Well, vampire stories still have a way of providing worthwhile entertainment. Thanks for the detailed and insightful review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kaivalya_k wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 09:33 I liked the cover. But I don’t much enjoy sci-fi novels, so I would pass.
If you don't enjoy sci-fi, this isn't the book for you. I'm sure you'll find a good one, though. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Saint Bruno wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 17:11 Well, vampire stories still have a way of providing worthwhile entertainment. Thanks for the detailed and insightful review.
I agree. Though possibly overdone, they're still entertaining. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Reality Games by Tom Reissmann

Post by NetMassimo »

I read a lot of vampire stories, and it's hard to find anything new to write. Still, this one seems good, so I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NetMassimo wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 09:41 I read a lot of vampire stories, and it's hard to find anything new to write. Still, this one seems good, so I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
New and vampire don't seem to go together. Nevertheless, I liked the story. I hope you try it. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

Good old vampires and the characters we would love to hate? Sounds very intriguing! :) Thank you very much for this amazing review!
Zaynah qadir mahmud
Currently Reading: City of Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Zaynah qadir mahmud »

the book is significantly what one may secretly hope to read and sip coffee at the same time. Even the characters doesn’t get a rise out of their readers mind. A rush of memories overman her thum of agonising pain contre a grimoire of demon . Yes I can read the book over and over again without blinking an eye. Sexy, ravishingly tempting for a voracious reader .
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ellylion wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 09:30 Good old vampires and the characters we would love to hate? Sounds very intriguing! :) Thank you very much for this amazing review!
Yes. They are characters that you just want to yell and scream at. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Bad Ivory
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by raluca_mihaila »

I love a good book about vampires, so I might give it a shot. Thank you for your entertaining review!
Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 892
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: Exploring Spirituality in Photo and Verse by Arlene Goetze

Post by Laura Bach »

Although I'm not one who enjoys vampire books, I was delighted to read your review. It seems like an enjoyable book even with its flaws.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 04:39 I love a good book about vampires, so I might give it a shot. Thank you for your entertaining review!
If you like good vampire books, this is one for you to check out. If you're looking for something original, it would be best to probably look elsewhere. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Laura Bach wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 12:57 Although I'm not one who enjoys vampire books, I was delighted to read your review. It seems like an enjoyable book even with its flaws.
It was enjoyable. I hope you find a book that IS your cup of tea. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Portrait of a Princess by Sam Baker

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book seems intruiging that I'm already drawn into it. I'll surely add this to my shelf. Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”