The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
asw525
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Currently Reading: Fated by Alyson Noel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asw525.html
fav_author_id: 2912

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau

Post by asw525 »

The Testing Review by Abigail Warschauer:

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau is a thrilling science fiction romance that will leave readers on the edge of their seats in awe.
Cia Vale lives in post-apocalyptic Earth in the colony called Five Lakes. The ground under her feet is cracking and only people like her father have the credentials to help sustain life. These people have moved on from Graduation to The Testing-a series of written tests that will determine if you can move on to a University for higher education.
The Testing comes to Five Lakes Colony for Cia and a few other classmates, but the night before her departure will send chills through your body. Her father gives her some terrifying advice: trust no one.
Is The Testing as lethal as her father’s haunting nightmares say? Can she trust Tomas the handsome childhood friend who seems to be falling for her more and more? Each deadly day that goes by proves both suspicions. The Testing doesn’t at all live up to the wonderful expectations politicians give it. Also, Tomas and her seem to grow closer together as time runs out.
The smiling faces of The Testing officials seem to be only a disguise, for they hide a cruel nature. The Tests are more than just a pass or fail. A failure could lead to sudden death and maybe even by your own doing.
Now, she is lunged into the desolate land for another round. Mutated animals, candidates with murderous intentions and The Testing’s lethal tricks surround her. All she has is Tomas and her clever observations-that seem to help her more than she could’ve ever thought. Each action she performs is another pass or fail and every obstacle she runs into is another Test.
There’s a mysterious killer running around shooting anyone who gets in his way, including Cia. Which candidate is he? With this terrifying knowledge she should be wary of who to trust but sometimes her good heart can get in the way.
Not every candidate believes that eliminating the competition is a bad thing.
Cia is forced to choose between not only her gut instinct and what she’s been taught but also between love and the truth. What will she do? More importantly, will she survive long enough to answer that question?
I found The Testing to be a riveting book that I simply could not put down. The way Cia’s thoughts were written pulled me in and the way she left you hanging was jaw dropping.
The plot of The Testing was designed to spark your interests and it did. Whether it was the secrets or Cia’s endurance, there was always something that caught your attention.
There were many moments where I would gasp aloud and talk to the book. It really got you feeling like you were there. Not many books have the power to do that but this one did. I could feel each emotion Cia had and I could easily picture everything.
Joelle Charbonneau has a good way of making you believe in something so much that when the twist hits you don’t see it coming whatsoever. I was in love with this story, there was always something interesting going on-never a dull moment.
This is a must read for all fans of Divergent, Legend, and the Hunger Games. I highly recommend it to all readers!
CONSTARA
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constara.html

Post by CONSTARA »

Just went on my list! Thanks!
emski100
Favorite Author: Veronica Roth
Favorite Book: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emski100.html
Latest Review: "The Beer Bellies" by Andrew Mather
fav_author_id: 2445

Post by emski100 »

Wow great review. I read this book in December and really enjoyed it. People see it as a HG ripoff but I felt that the characters were pretty different and while the plot took some elements it is its own book.
Just a girl with a banjo and some books...minus the banjo
Also a booktuber :)
Latest Review: "The Beer Bellies" by Andrew Mather
Leah_Nerd

Post by Leah_Nerd »

The Testing By Joelle Charbonneau
Reviewed By Leah
The Testing is a triology of books where a group of teens tries to stop their countries wicked ways. This series is a must read for anyone who loves Divergent, The Hunger Games, or and distopian novel. It’s full of suspense and adventure.
Meghana Warrier
Favorite Book: Cinder
Currently Reading: The Lost Hero
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghana-warrier.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Meghana Warrier »

I loved this whole series!! The last book wasn't as great as the first two because it felt rushed by the end. But, overall the whole series was great and the plot was literally amazing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”