Review by Ikaye -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ikaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikaye.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Ikaye -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Ikaye »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Tysz’s We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies tells the story of Galen Bray who is a citizen of the Land of the Princes, an empire entangled in poverty and war. He went on a journey to Voulhire, a kingdom of greatness and progress, to take over the blacksmith business of his deceased great uncle. Galen met Rowan, the executor of the will, and become good friends with him. He helped Galen try to understand and to settle in his uncle’s business. Will Galen be able to live a new life in the prosperous and peaceful kingdom of Voulhire or will he suffer again a tragedy of living in a place tormented by war?

This first book of the series is a great start. The readers can see how much thought, effort, and hard-work Matthew Tysz put into this wonderful book. It is a new level of magic and fantasy. It reminds me of other fantasy novels but it also different at the same time.

Matthew Tysz created a unique universe where each place in this book is differently unique from each other. The concept of Cosmos and Caromentis is very interesting. It opens a new door of ideas in the genre of fantasy. When reading stories that are under the genre of fantasy, it is important that the readers appreciate the world that the author created otherwise it means that it’s not effective and not powerful enough to sustain the imagination of the readers. Matthew Tysz did it with perfection. I was engrossed and was absorbed into the world with just a few words.

I liked how the author establishes the setting and the introduction of the characters in this book. It helps the readers established a good foundation to start the series. The different abilities and powers of each character are explicated well. Furthermore, I liked how the author writes the details discussing the kingdom of Voulhire. The map was a brilliant move since it helps the readers visualize the places described in the book. I also like how he writes from different perspectives, like Galen’s perspective then the other is in third-person point of view. It helped me understand both the character and the factors and events that are happening in the book.

One thing I didn’t like in this book is the use of vulgar words. I know that the author’s choice of words is essential to put traits into the character and to the situation happening surrounding the characters, however, I believed that the characters in this book don’t need it since they are well written by the author.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Matthew Tysz made a work of art! This is the first book of the series and I can’t wait to read the rest of it. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading fantasy genres and loves discovering new worlds. However, I don’t recommend it to children or teenagers in their early years since it contains some sexual references, profanities, and violence. You can ask your older siblings to tell you the story minus the profanity, vulgarity, and violence part of the story. In addition, I didn’t find any mistakes so I think this book is professionally edited.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”