Review by MajestyBooky -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MajestyBooky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majestybooky.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by MajestyBooky -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by MajestyBooky »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a book primarily about a man called Galen Bray. He is a young man moving from his land to Voulhire where he is set to inherit his dead uncle's forging business. The fact that the country he hails from, The Land of the Princes, has been deep in the trenches of war since he could remember, makes Voulhire look like paradise to him. Unknown to him and indeed many citizens, Voulhire's tranquility is under threat. Meldorath, a powerful mage, wants absolute control of not only Voulhire, but the entire world. If that isn't enough, he also seeks to control the magical world called Caromentis. Then there The Riva Rohavi, a rebel group that wants to overthrow King Wilhelm as ruler. Is Voulhire's eighteen-year period of peace and bounty about to end?

As Galen was the focus of the book, I was keen to see the ends he would go to in order to ensure Voulhire maintains the peace he appreciates so much. The author writes from his point of view, so we are privy to his thoughts on this new land and its people. His innocence plus the trust he has in most of those he meets is touching. It also helps that he was a new arrival, so the author took this chance to explain everything, just the way Galen saw it.

I loved how easily Matthew Tysz switched from one mood to the next. The sections on Meldorath cast a dark mood over the reader; you could almost see the dark, threatening clouds gathering momentum over your head. The parts with Galen and his friends were playful, hilarious, and filled with sarcastic jabs that often left me laughing.

I found no errors, which was good. As for editing, I would have liked a table of contents with chapters for easy navigation. As is, the chapters were named after whoever that section focused on. For instance, you would get a chapter named Galen Bray or King Wilhelm, and it would focus on those mentioned.

I found the usage of vulgar language and comments that were suggestive. For these reasons, I recommend it for adults only. This is a must-have for fantasy lovers. I am thinking the nine books in the series will be a real treat for anyone with a love for great storytelling, well-developed characters, and a thrilling, suspenseful plot.

My rating is 4 out of 4 stars. The one issue on chapters did not affect my reading experience. The author did a great job with this book. It is easily one of the best books I have read this year.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I concur with the review, the author did a good job. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”