Review by EANewlon -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EANewlon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eanewlon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by EANewlon -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by EANewlon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies” written by Matthew Tysz is an intriguing story that takes place in a land set in a fantasy world, with magic, machines, and politics. The plot takes place in the Kingdom of Voulhire, an apparently peaceful and wealthy land on the brink of an industrial revolution. In its golden age, Voulhire rife with power-hungry politicians and merchants, most of whom seem ignorant of the strife that is present in the land. The kingdom has a sordid history with a sect of its society referenced throughout the story. As the plot builds we are introduced to several intriguing characters; a King, Lords, villains, and peasants.

A kind and naive young man from a faraway war-torn kingdom finds his way to this prosperous land through an unexpected inheritance. Does he know who his family really is, what secrets it's past has? What will he do with this inheritance, is his path certain? Or will he fall victim to politics, perhaps get swept up in a power struggle? As he learns the customs and his place in this new land the balance of power is in question in other parts of Voulhire. A storm is brewing.

This book is a great introduction to the “We are Voulhire” series. I would classify this book as an industrial-medieval adventure fantasy. Matthew Tysz writing style is vivid and leaves you with a feeling of actually observing the story as it unfolds. I am eager to read his next book of the series “We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko”. I can't wait to find out how the character's stories become more intertwined.

I found the story very enjoyable, but the reading had some issues. Some sentences I thought were odd and required me to reread them. There is some vulgarity that seemed unnecessary but may allude to what kind of society the kingdom is. Also, there is some somewhat graphic violence, along with references to sex and sexuality. Editing was very well done, only a handful of errors were missed (good luck catching them). Overall, teens (with discretion)to young adult readers will enjoy this book. I would rate this book 4 out of 4.

If you are trying to decide on your next book, look no farther this is a must-read, at the very least add it to your list. It is comparable to Christopher Paolini's “The Inheritance Cycle” series and Jim Butcher's “Codex Alera” series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”