Review by ciecheesemeister -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of Dressy Jessie and LC Jones by Kimberly Cortes
fav_author_id: 165843

Review by ciecheesemeister -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Timewise is a science fiction novel by Robert Leet. It follows the unusual life of a young man named Ron Larsen, who is initially approached by physicist Regina Russo while playing chess. Ron’s life becomes intertwined with Regina’s and she remains a constant presence even when they are not physically together. Ron utilizes Regina’s teachings to create great success in his life, but he feels that he is at his best while he is in her company.

Timewise is well-written and professionally edited. I only found a couple of minor errors in the text. The thing that I liked best about the book was the depiction of Regina. She was a highly intelligent woman who relied on her mind rather than on feminine wiles, and she was depicted as being ordinary-looking albeit compelling rather than as a sexpot.

The aspect of the story that I disliked most was a scene where Ron and his girlfriend (later wife) Sheila have sex while he is driving at high speeds down a dark road at night. Not only did I find the scene unrealistic, but I also felt that it was out of place in an otherwise cerebral story. The scene would have worked better if Ron and Sheila were to have sex in a place where there was a risk of being caught when there would be consequences of some sort.

Despite this incongruous scene, the overall story is excellent, and I give the book four out of four stars. The female characters have developed personalities rather than simply being window dressing for the males in the story to ogle. Sheila, for instance, is a shrewd businesswoman. Ron’s friend Louise is a stealthy and mysterious character who teaches Ron about hidden places around campus and in the city. Ron’s first girlfriend Cheryl is a botanist who teaches him about the natural world.

I recommend Timewise to readers who enjoy detailed, thoughtful stories. The sort of reader who prefers a fast-paced, action-packed tale will likely find that this book moves too slowly for their tastes, although there are some tense scenes involving an obsessed FBI agent who is intent on catching Regina doing something illegal.

There is not a lot of profanity in the book, but readers who prefer to avoid salty language might want to give this story a miss. There aren’t a lot of violent or sexual scenes in the book, and the ones that are included aren’t particularly graphic. Nonetheless, readers preferring stories without sexual or violent content might prefer to skip this book.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by shreyagupta »

I really liked how to pointed out the different female characters in the book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”