Review by Muladan -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Muladan
Currently Reading: Inside the Mind of a Successful CEO
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muladan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Muladan -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Muladan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The lands of the princes are ravaged by war. After Galen finds a ticket out of these lands, he can only dream of the good life he will have in Magnum Caelum; a town of the great Voulhire. Galen, during his voyage, learns a lot about Voulhire. This not only piques his interest but also intensifies his zeal to reach the land of Voltaire. Galen arrives to find that his deceased uncle who was a blacksmith has left him a fortune. Galen finds a ‘friend' that is more than eager to help him ease into the new life he is unaccustomed to.

Meanwhile, in Hillport; a small town south of Voulhire, things are happening. Things that have left the citizens of Hillport economically weak and traumatized. A powerful mage has left Hillport's citizens in fear. A savior for Hillport is found. The small town begins to rise fast. Its growth is however short-lived as it is trodden by the Riva before it even rises. Is the powerful mage behind these strange happenings even after being pronounced dead?

This adventure begins at a fast pace. Mathew Tysz begins his series We are Voulhire by this fast-paced A New Arrival Under Great Skies. This novel creates a solid foundation for the whole series. With the help of a Voulhirean map at the beginning of the book and a list of names and places of Voulhire, Tysz maps the Voulhirean kingdom into the mind of the reader. Through the dynamics of political power, the author creates the most brilliant story.

I liked the way Tysz builds on his characters. I was amused by the personality of some characters especially Rowan who is always thinking in a ‘sexual' manner. I also found the cool composture of Meldorath somehow unnerving. The author has high creativity. Also, the author uses vivid language that creates very detailed images in the mind of the reader. I enjoyed reading this book immensely although I am not a fan of science fiction. The author uses obscene language sparingly. I didn't find it irritating at all.

Some scenes in the book are too gruesome for very young and very sensitive audiences. Some vivid explanations of death make this book inappropriate for a violence-sensitive person. Some subtle hints to sexual acts and profanities also disqualify this book from being read by very young children. I'd recommend against this book being read by those under the age of sixteen.

Having found nothing displeasing in the book, I rate We Are Voulhire; A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz with four out of four stars. I found no grammatical errors in the book and so find it to be exceptionally edited. I recommend this book to a mature audience after the thrill of science fiction. The author has done a great job and I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”