Review by murry7796 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
murry7796
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-murry7796.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review by murry7796 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by murry7796 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is a novel by author Matthew Tysz. It is a fantasy novel set in a land called Voulhire. This land is considered to be perfect by many in the world, but contains secrets underneath. One of the main characters is Galen Bray, who has inherited his Great Uncle’s blacksmith company and home. He comes from another part of the world and sees Voulhire as a utopia. Another character is Lord Eldus, who is in charge of reforming a town called Hillport. This task was given to him by his king. Then there is King Wilhelm that is worrying about possible change that is coming to his land of Voulhire. They all have a part of the possible coming war and have to figure out what to do. There is also an evil mage that is threatening the peace that Voulhire currently has.

The world that Tysz lays out is detailed and the reader can really picture the world that they are exploring. This makes the story one that you can stick with and be captivated by. The author also did his research for the book, because there are parts that talk about specific skills that regular people would not have the knowledge of. Galen’s learning of becoming a blacksmith or the knowledge that a king might have about war and other lands. He was also able to give the reader an insight into the characters, this helps the reader to follow the story and the character’s train of thought better.

This is just the first book in the series, and I am looking forward to reading the next one. There are only a few small things that could have been better in this novel. One was when the writer switched from first person to second person at an old time. And then there were some times that more modern language was used in a formal setting that didn’t match.

I enjoyed this book and think that people that are into the fantasy genre will also enjoy it. If someone enjoys Sarah J. Maas, then I think that they would like this book. Plus it is not as long if you don’t have the time for a six hundred page book. This novel seems to be professionally edited and proofread.

The only warnings that I would give is that there is a certain level of violence since war is a part of the story. There is also a limited level of profanity that would not be suitable for children. With these things in mind I am giving this book a 4 out of 4 stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”