Review by KitabuKizuri -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Your Piece Of The Pie by Dr C S Wilson

Review by KitabuKizuri -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a fictional story written by Matthew Tysz. It is the first in a series of books that follow it. It also seems to be self-published.

Galen Bray had just received letters from a long lost uncle who’s time alive was just about done due to old age. Galen had to travel to Voulhire, to a settlement called Magnum Caelum. Once there, he would begin a new life far removed from his troubled youth, as a beneficiary of inherited wealth and learning a new trade as a blacksmith.

About the same time, not so far from Magnum Caelum, the King’s newly appointed Lord of Hillport, Eldus Alderman, sets out to find out more about the dealings of the former officials of his constituency. Before long, his efforts are rudely interrupted by the Riva Rohavi, the dancing invaders from Odaiamar to the North.

The author tells Galen Bray’s story in the first person, while in other chapters where Galen isn’t present, he tells it in the third person. One can also assume the whole story is narrated by Galen, but because some events are happening within the same time-frame, logic stands in the way of that assumption.

The characters are vividly impressed in the mind of the reader to the point that their body language is described. That is what I like most about the book. In terms of context, I wasn’t sure if the medieval language used in the book and mannerisms fit with some of the modern references in terms of speech. For instance, words like broad and other cuss words don’t quite blend well with the times portrayed in the first book in the series. I think the story presented an opportunity for the author’s imagination to run wild and create some cultural norms and speech patterns that fit the story but at the same time alienate the reader from what is familiar.

The book is an easy read and can be enjoyed by any adult who enjoys throwback fiction with some supernatural fantasy. I recommend the book to such. I wouldn’t recommend it to those who have no time for fantasy or magic.

The book is well-edited. I never got lost while following the narrative, so the arrangement is also superb. Since there weren’t any noted typos and grammatical errors, I think the book deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I enjoyed the book. The supernatural beings and the magic made the book more fun. Great job on the review.
BellAJoEb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by BellAJoEb »

Reading your review brought the book alive because of the way the author presented the characters in a vicidly impressed way in the mind of the readers, the medieval language and mannerisms used in the book, the dance, etc. Great review and recommendations. Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”