Review by hacrapo -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hacrapo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hacrapo.html
Latest Review: The Omicron Six by Endy Wright

Review by hacrapo -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by hacrapo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Timewise by Robert Leet follows the story of Ron Larsen, whose life has been entangled with Regina Russo’s ever since they met at a chess tournament when he was a teenager. Initially uninterested in school and never having considered that he could be a good student, Regina challenges Ron by keeping track of his academic progress and later paying his way through college. At Northern University, where Regina is a physics professor, Ron becomes immersed in mathematics and after graduation pursues a life separate from Regina. After years of a successful career, Ron’s life becomes entangled with Regina’s once more in an experiment that could change the world as we know it. If only the FBI would leave them alone…

What I like most about the novel are the progressive undertones among the characters of the book. I was truly pleased to find that this book challenges and accepts a few topics that are considered “taboo” in society. This book subtly addresses topics that include gender fluidity, interracial relationships, and immigration, among others. As an example, Regina Russo is a woman in the field of physics, a traditionally male-dominated field. The acceptance of these issues sends a positive message to any teenagers and young adults reading this novel.

I found that what I dislike most about the novel are the dry scientific passages. In the early interactions between Ron and Regina, Ron states he doesn’t know what physics is. This results in several years of impromptu lectures from Regina, many of which felt as if I were reading a physics textbook instead of a novel. The use of technical language and diagrams solidify the science book quality of these passages. However, the author does accommodate readers with non-scientific backgrounds by breaking down the difficult concepts of quantum physics in a way that are easy to understand.

Timewise has been professionally edited; I found less than ten errors in the entire novel. Additionally, I found two instances of the use of expletives and no major religious themes. As such, this novel is suitable for adults in general. However, this novel is not for everyone. Anyone who is interested in science or time research in general will find this book enjoyable, but anyone with an advanced knowledge of chemistry or physics may not enjoy reading the long scientific passages, as the explanations are fairly rudimentary for such complex concepts.

There is a sense of thrill as Regina and Ron work on their experiments while being pursued by the authorities. Coupled with the author’s beautiful writing style, most of the book is an easy and enjoyable read. As a result of this, as well as the absorbing characters and professional editing, I believe it deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”