Review by car-mbz -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
car-mbz
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Review by car-mbz -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by car-mbz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a tale about Galen and his journey through Voulhire, as he learns the people's way of life and his interactions with the different inhabitants of Voulhire. It also encompasses the story about politics in Voulhire. This book is the first in the series, 'We are Voulhire'. It sets the stage for the epic battle that will unfold in the next books.

Galen immigrated to Voulhire after inheriting his uncle's property. He arrives in Magnum Caelum, a town in Voulhire, in a boat. His journey has taken a week and a half, eventhough he felt as if he hadn't endured enough to earn what he found in Voulhire, a land of dreams. Having come from a war-torn land, he is full of gratitude and hope for a better life. He is ready to do anything for his new people no matter what it takes. He is eager to learn about his new home and a new way of life.

Voulhire is experiencing problems that lay deep beneath its perfect surface. Wilhelm is the King of Voulhire. He has good intentions for the land, but he has enemies who have malevolent intentions. The head of the Mianoran Council, Midius Maido, seeks to have power in Voulhire. Meldorath, an evil and powerful mage, who was a close friend, seeks to gain power and use it in the other worlds. The people are afraid of him, but when news of his death reaches the people, they are happy. How will the people get over the trauma he caused them? Will the King reveal his secret about Meldorath's death? There is also the Riva Rohavi, who are rebels and want to destroy anyone that contributes to the affluence of land they scorn.

The author uses very easy to comprehend language. He also included a map of Voulhire at the beginning of the book, and this helped me visualize the location of the different places he was talking about. The various twists and suspense in the book captivate the reader from start to finish. The author blends perfectly the themes of science, fantasy, fiction, and magic into one intricate storyline. The book ends on a cliffhanger, and I look forward to reading the other books in the series.

What I liked most about this book is the author's imaginative ability and well-developed characters. Tysz builds a world through his writing that feels real, although this is a work of fiction. His vividness in describing the town of Magnum Caelum, and the events that took place at Hillport, after the attack, was exceptional. All characters are relatable and have well-defined roles. I didn't find any grammatical errors, hence I conclude that the book was professionally edited. There is nothing I didn't like about this book. The above reasons are why I rate the book as 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to sci-fi lovers who enjoy quick reads. It contains vulgar language, and therefore I would not recommend it to children. This book does not bear any religious biases.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by MarianaFigueira »

I agree, it is an amazing book. Thanks for the thorough review👍👍
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
car-mbz
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by car-mbz »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 18:40 I agree, it is an amazing book. Thanks for the thorough review👍👍
You are welcome. Am glad you enjoyed reading the review.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”