Review by MarianaFigueira -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Review by MarianaFigueira -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

Post by MarianaFigueira »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies allowed me to witness the birth of a narrative universe in the form of stories from the perspectives of various characters: Galen is the nephew of a recently deceased blacksmith, who arranged for him to come to Voulhire and left him everything he possessed; King Wilhelm is the ruler of all of Voulhire, a prosper land that just entered an age of gold; finally, Lord Meldorath is a powerful mage, who committed severe crimes and is sort of the monster under the bed now. Early on, these characters and stories seem worlds apart but converge as the plot develops. Meanwhile, Voulhire manifests.

I am extremely pleased with this novel. First and foremost, I have to acknowledge the incredible imagination of author Matthew Tysz: not only he created a whole other world, but what is more impressive, he managed to present it in such a delicate way that the reader likely wouldn't notice that this was an introduction unless it was explicitly mentioned.

The book involved many components but did not feel cramped at all; the way Voulhire's culture, geography, and history were on display without it being too obvious was remarkable. What's more, there is plenty of depth to this universe; its political system encloses intrigues, the enemies of the nation have a history that goes back a long time, and there is magic: a trait that anyone can possess if they put their minds to it, which contains different specializations (like biomagic, for example), and is under the influence of Caromentis, the magical universe.

I am fascinated by the fact that Voulhire contains aspects of medieval times, such as weapons and armors, but also elements of industrialization, like trains; and current expressions as "micromanagement" and "cognitive dissociation". The combination is unusual, but it works, showcasing the charm of the old-fashioned times with touches of modernity.

The writing style is illustrative and pleasing. Most of it was rather slow-paced but did not get tedious at all. The focus changes from one character to another but maintaining a linear timeline, and it includes first and third-person narrative. Additionally, it is exceptionally well-edited.

There wasn't a single thing I didn't admire from this book. Overall, it was an extraordinary way to embark on a journey to a new universe, and I can't wait to read the following books. Accordingly, I grant it 4 out of 4 stars. Note that this has mentions of sexual abuse and pedophilia, other sexual instances, violence, and vulgar language, which is why it is most adequate for non-apprehensive adults with a taste for science-fiction.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

You sure do know how to express yourself with words. You review perfectly summarized this book, and I enjoyed reading it.
Indeed the author did a great job in making this introductory installment intriguing and enjoyable, without boring the reader with mundane details.
Live and let live, baby.
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Slater678 »

The author has really tried in terms of creating villains like Lord Meldorath and protagonists like Galen. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
MarianaFigueira

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 08:36 You sure do know how to express yourself with words. You review perfectly summarized this book, and I enjoyed reading it.
Indeed the author did a great job in making this introductory installment intriguing and enjoyable, without boring the reader with mundane details.
Thank you so much!
MarianaFigueira

Slater678 wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 09:49 The author has really tried in terms of creating villains like Lord Meldorath and protagonists like Galen. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Thank you for the comment!👍
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

Seems to be a look with a complex plot. I'll pass this time. Thanks for a great review.
aby johnson
2021 Reading Goal: 52
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Wow your review is so perfectly written and you have given such an insight into the book. Thanks for this. I recently read the book and I enjoyed it too very much. Meldorath seems like a powerful enough villain.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
aacodreanu
2021 Reading Goal: 40
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

There are two elements that I particularly liked in your excellent review: one is the depth of the Voulhire culture discreetly displayed, and the other the combination between medieval arts and trades on the one hand, and discreetly suggested modern practices, such as communication and school life.
I had noticed them miself but failed to mention them in my review.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

Indeed, the author's incredible imagination glued me to the novel till the end. The book is fascinating from the first page. I look forward to reading the entire We are Voulhire series.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by Nmesoma »

Your review is incredible. I've read the book and your review describes it perfectly.
MarianaFigueira

Tayejim1 wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 14:53 Seems to be a look with a complex plot. I'll pass this time. Thanks for a great review.
Thank you for the comment!
MarianaFigueira

aacodreanu wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 02:55 There are two elements that I particularly liked in your excellent review: one is the depth of the Voulhire culture discreetly displayed, and the other the combination between medieval arts and trades on the one hand, and discreetly suggested modern practices, such as communication and school life.
I had noticed them miself but failed to mention them in my review.
Thank you for the thoughtful comment🤗
MarianaFigueira

GianKosi77 wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 03:55 Indeed, the author's incredible imagination glued me to the novel till the end. The book is fascinating from the first page. I look forward to reading the entire We are Voulhire series.
Me too! Thank you for commenting
MarianaFigueira

Nmesoma wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 07:12 Your review is incredible. I've read the book and your review describes it perfectly.
Thank you for commenting👍
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Hire Right, Fire Right by Roxi Bahar Hewertson

Post by Eutoc »

I was more fascinated with the geography of voulhire than the characters. It's really commendable on the author's part.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”