Review by RHD -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Gr...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RHD
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Review by RHD -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Gr...

Post by RHD »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first entry in the fantasy series "We Are Voulhire" by Matthew Tysz. Basically, the reader is being introduced to a new world. There is even a glossary of terms, concepts and names at the end. However, it's not so different from our current one. There's industry in Virko, mining in Alcovia, fishing in Hillport, magic in Caromentis and a little bit of everything in the capital of Voulhire, the city of Soulhire - just to mention a few.

King Wilhelm Arcolo sits at the Capital. A lot is going on at the Castle in Hillport and he is faced with the challenge of coronating someone every once in a while to be Hillport's Lord. Meanwhile, Galen Bray gets a letter that evacuates him from the chaos and anarchy in the Lands of the Princes all the way to the tranquility and peace at Magnum Caelum. Here, he meets Malcom - the mayor - and Rowan, his uncle's executor. How much will his life change? King Wilhelm confers lordship to former judge Eldus Alderman and sends him to Hillport as it's redemption. Is he up to the task?

There's a lot going on in this book. The character development is quite commendable. My favorite guy is Galen. He can't believe his life has totally changed. Rowan takes him around Voulhire in the name of business and adventure; from Alcovia all the way to Yamon Soul. My second best character is undoubtedly Lord Eldus. He represents the very few leaders who want change for the common person and actually makes steps towards this. He is, to the disbelief of his subjects, a leader by example, compassionate and humble.

The plot also develops appropriately. The reader is able to clearly distinguish the different settings and how they keep growing and changing. Hillport, for instance, isn't even ready for what's coming, but you'll have to grab the book to understand why. No spoilers for now. The writing style is quite simple, thus making it enjoyable even to a younger audience. There's also some suspence at the end - making one to eagerly await the next book.

There's not much I disliked about this book. The only thing I disliked is the lack of major female characters. In my humble opinion, Beverly and Lady Charlotte represent the women, but not substantially. Matthew needs to use more women in this fantasy series and award them more roles and space. This would go a long way in making this series bigger and better.

The book is professionally edited. I found only two minor errors. I would also like to note the fact that my PDF copy didn't have page numbers. Anyway, this didn't distract me from my reading, though it might be distracting to another reader. Still, the above statements didn't give me any reason to reduce the rating, therefore I award it a perfect 4 out of 4 stars.

I dare say anyone can enjoy this piece of art. There's a religious town called Yamon Soul, but I don't think it may be inappropriate to a reader of any religion. There's a case or two of borderline profanity that isn't distracting. I didn't find any erotic scenes in Matthew's work. There are few violence cases which might not appeal to sensitive readers. Lovers of fantasy will find it most appealing.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by MarianaFigueira »

I also loved this book, absolutely worth the hype. Thanks for sharing👍
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Yay! You went back to the beginning!😁
"There's industry in Virko, mining in Alcovia, fishing in Hillport, magic in Caromentis and a little bit of everything in the capital of Voulhire, the city of Soulhire." This just about describes Voulhire.
The absence of female characters in this books was very glaring, and although this didn't distrupt the flow of the story, it felt like the book was missing some savour.
Nice review!
Live and let live, baby.
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html

Post by Slater678 »

I like your review as it brings quite well the essence of the book and the world its based on. Thanks for the insightful review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Truth in Hope by R.A. Simpson

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an intriguing book. I agree that I would enjoy a book more if it had strong female characters in it. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

I wish Beverly's character to be more developed, she is intriguing! :) The book is a great premise, thanks for this insightful review!
lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

My problem with this book is the lack of female characters as well. I’m glad you gave it a full rating still. Thanks for this wonderful review!
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

It's good to know that anyone can enjoy this work of art. Thanks for an in-depth review.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats Walking the Dog by Dave Hutchinson

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for expressing your honest option. I also like Lord Eldus a lot, so it's a shame he couldn't make it.
RHD
Currently Reading:

Post by RHD »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 13:05 I also loved this book, absolutely worth the hype. Thanks for sharing👍
Thanks for dropping by 👌
RHD
Currently Reading:

Post by RHD »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 08:27 Yay! You went back to the beginning!😁
"There's industry in Virko, mining in Alcovia, fishing in Hillport, magic in Caromentis and a little bit of everything in the capital of Voulhire, the city of Soulhire." This just about describes Voulhire.
The absence of female characters in this books was very glaring, and although this didn't distrupt the flow of the story, it felt like the book was missing some savour.
Nice review!
RHD
Currently Reading:

Post by RHD »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 08:27 Yay! You went back to the beginning!😁

The "We are Voulhire" series keeps getting better, doesn't it? Thanks for dropping by and commenting 👌
Nice review!
RHD
Currently Reading:

Post by RHD »

Slater678 wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 09:45 I like your review as it brings quite well the essence of the book and the world its based on. Thanks for the insightful review.
Thanks for dropping by 👍
RHD
Currently Reading:

Post by RHD »

:tiphat: to
Prisallen wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 15:12 This sounds like an intriguing book. I agree that I would enjoy a book more if it had strong female characters in it. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Thanks for dropping by!
RHD
Currently Reading:

Post by RHD »

Ellylion wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 15:20 I wish Beverly's character to be more developed, she is intriguing! :) The book is a great premise, thanks for this insightful review!
She's quite the survivor that one. I liked her character as well. Thanks for your kind words 👍

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”