Official Review: Wizardrous by J. A. Hinsvark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 82
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: The Deeper Shadow by A.M. Adair

Official Review: Wizardrous by J. A. Hinsvark

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wizardrous" by J. A. Hinsvark.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One could say Wizardrous by J. A. Hinsvark is simply a humorous tale of magic, adventure, and inconvenient alliances, but that would be sugar-coating it. There is nothing simple about this story, and the characters are as outrageous as it gets- from an inept wizard with a drug problem to his mad scientist sorceress sister, to a pair of highly dysfunctional twin gnomes who have no business anywhere outside of a loony bin. There is also the unfortunate apprentice who cannot seem to catch a break. These hilariously wacky characters and more make up the magical kingdom of Koric, and they are about to embark on an epic quest.

A man known only as The Wizard hatches a half-baked plan to steal a priceless artifact from an underground vault. He is an unusual and lazy madman with a thing for drugs, alcohol, and mayhem. During the heist, he stumbles on a horrifying conspiracy linked to his family that has been perpetuated for centuries. Determined to expose the corruption and evade capture himself, The Wizard and his gang of zany accomplices set out to put a stop to the sinister scheme. Will he succeed, or is he destined for the same horrifying fate?

First off, Wizardrous is intended for mature audiences only. With recurrent themes of drugs, violence, sexual innuendos/implications, and heavy profanity, sensitive readers may want to steer clear of this book as well. Despite the themes, this book reads like a young adult fantasy/adventure novel. It is 395 pages of unbridled absurdity, satire, and humor. Once you adjust to the language and quirky style of writing, you are in for an undeniably wild and unforgettable ride. The story flowed at a fast pace, with intriguing twists and turns that were strategically placed to keep the reader engaged. The characters were as comical as they were entertaining, and the detailed writing gave the story a three-dimensional feel.

For me, character development was one of the high points of the book. I applaud the author's ability to write compellingly about characters many readers would find unrelatable. And what's more, it worked well for the storyline. Each person was intentionally created to be comical and obnoxious in one form or another to elevate the entertainment value of the plot. I did not like The Wizard all that much, but I often found him and his hare-brained antics quite amusing. His sister, Anasthasia, was a powerful sorceress from whose twisted mind was born nightmarish experiments. I have no words to describe the twin gnomes Knippe and Knorpe. As far as obnoxious characters go, those two take the cake. Then there was poor Jeff, The Wizard's cynical nephew and unfortunate apprentice. He was shanghaied on the foolish heist and nearly lost his life on several occasions. These and a host of other equally fascinating personalities brought the book to life.

Wizardrous is a very graphic novel, and there is a content warning to that effect. Nevertheless, I feel the author may have gone a bit overboard with the drugs and sexual innuendos. A fair amount of it was not relevant to the storyline. Either way, this is a subjective critique and in no way detracts from the overall quality of the story. This book would be best enjoyed by open-minded, mature readers of slapstick fantasy novels with a twisted sense of humor.

The book appeared professionally edited, with only about four visible typographical errors. The authentic plot, entertaining satirical humor, and commendable character development compels me to award Wizardrous a 4 out of 4 stars rating. From the way the book ended, it appears that a sequel is in order, and I look forward to another fun and captivating page-turner.

Wizardrous
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:

Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

What a wonderful cast of characters! Character development is one of my favorite things when reading. I'd love to read about their adventures. Thanks for a fantastic review.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Navigating New Normal Book One Environmental Rescue
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

A tale of magic so full of humor is certainly interesting, and it seems to have a strong plot, far more than merely a series of jokes. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Gift5 »

Bookworm101520 wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 00:25
What a wonderful cast of characters! Character development is one of my favorite things when reading. I'd love to read about their adventures. Thanks for a fantastic review.
That is true character development is key to successful story line.

ValeriaU
Currently Reading: Duplicity
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by ValeriaU »

It sounds fantastic! I love books like this, I will have to read it. All the characters sound so original and crazy I love it.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”