Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emski100
Favorite Author: Veronica Roth
Favorite Book: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emski100.html
Latest Review: "The Beer Bellies" by Andrew Mather
fav_author_id: 2445

Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer

Post by emski100 »

Marissa Meyer's series, The Lunar Chronicles takes classic fairy tale stories and makes them new with an interesting twist-----Sci-Fi. The series is going to be composed of four books. Cinder, the first follows the story of Cinder, a cyborg mechanic living in the city of New Beijing in a time where plague rules the country, and there is fear of the Lunar people (a country on the moon) attacking. She and Prince Kai of New Beijing must realize what the Lunars are planning. I loved this first book. It provided a new insight on one of my favorite childhood stories (can you guess....cinderella! :D ) The Second book in the series, Scarlet is a interpretation of Little Red Riding Hood. The book continues to follow the story of Cinder and introduces Scarlet as another main character. Cress, the third book , is set to follow the story of Rapunzel and is coming out February 4th 2014. Winter the last book comes out in 2015 and is supposed to be a version of Snow White.
Just a girl with a banjo and some books...minus the banjo
Also a booktuber :)
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Wow, thanks for letting us know about these. Sci-fi is not normally my thing, but I love fairy tales including re-workings of them. Maybe I'll have to check it out.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
emski100
Favorite Author: Veronica Roth
Favorite Book: Divergent
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emski100.html
fav_author_id: 2445

Post by emski100 »

It was very interesting while reading to pick up things from the classic fairy tales. It made the books a lot more fun to read.
Just a girl with a banjo and some books...minus the banjo
Also a booktuber :)
Anxious Educator
Favorite Author: James Herriot
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxious-educator.html
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
fav_author_id: 10107

Post by Anxious Educator »

Everything I hear about this series is gold. I can't wait to read it! (I'm making myself get through the stack of books I already own before starting, though.) There is an already-existing thread about taking characters we're already familiar with and telling their story from a new perspective, such as in The Iron Fey series. It sounds like The Lunar Chronicles accomplishes these new perspectives incredibly well. I'm always wary of authors who take already-established story lines or characters but "changes it up." It usually backfires, so I'm glad to hear that this series is a winner.
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
azeason25
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azeason25.html

Post by azeason25 »

I love fairy tales and I really love when an author gives them a really unique twist. Cinder is an adaptation of Cinderella, which was really great. I read through it in no time. Just finished Scarlet which was based lightly on Red Ridding Hood. Can't wait to get my hands on Cress. I can't wait how she weaves Rapunzel into this new story.
NovaJay2415
Favorite Author: Suzanne Collins
Favorite Book: Cinder
Currently Reading: Sylo Icecore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novajay2415.html
fav_author_id: 2536

Post by NovaJay2415 »

I just love the first book! I cannot wait to read the second and the third-which just came out!!! These books are brilliant I tell you.
yalonde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

This series had me dreaming about the book. CINDER sat on my shelf for months before taking it, but i got ooked a quarter of the way through. I actually read Cinder again a week before Cress was released. Note I have to wait almost a year for Winter. At least Cress left me with smiles.
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower
whitewing2611
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Wintersmith - Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Sleeping Beauty - Mercedes Lackey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitewing2611.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by whitewing2611 »

I loved Cinder. I think I reread it almost straight after I finished it the first time.
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

I just finished reading the third book Cress and can't wait for Winter. I loved all the different characters and I was excited to read something that didn't have vampires for once. It still had the young love overcoming challenges that I really enjoy reading about.
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html

Post by Jamie fred84 »

I just finished reading the third book Cress and can't wait for Winter. I loved all the different characters and I was excited to read something that didn't have vampires for once. It still had the young love overcoming challenges that I really enjoy reading about.

-- 17 Apr 2015, 23:56 --

Just finished Cress today. I hate that I have to wait like 6 more months! It's a great series, I love the continued addition of characters all with strong roles sometimes I find myself forgetting who the scene is about because it's not in the first person and there are so many active characters. Still great books!
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Joseph Addison
MissLeila
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5506">The Iron Knight</a>
Currently Reading: Bruja
Bookshelf Size: 422
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missleila.html

Post by MissLeila »

I already read and reviewed this book on goodreads, and I find it okay I didn't like that much, I don't know what all the hype is about...

so here is my review that I already posted on goodreads
enjoy!

3-3.5 STARS

I've seen so many Book tubers recommending this book that made it impossible to ignore.

So yeah here I finally picked it up, and truly it was quite a surprise but totally expected...

Opinion:

What can I tell that hasn't already been told; you would know that this book tells the story of a poor girl/Cyborg who is wronged by her adoptive family (they own her actually so not a big deal)
and there's also charming (but quite boring prince Kai that likes the girl/cyborg, who asks her for a date to the SO Important ball, but she refuses because she hadn't been truthful with him...... and on and on the stories continues around a hopeless love interest (of course the sickness and stuff has been mentioned).....UNTIL Finally something happens (which by the way was SO OBVIOUS) I wasn't mind blown at all, just indifferent.

The problem with this book that it lacked description "of how life is in this futuristic world, the means of transport, communication and importantly the characters physical appearances (I still don't have a clear image of how the prince nor Cinder looks).

But let’s not forget about the creativity and humor of the author that kept me entertained and led to finish it.
So the second book is worth picking up because I haven't had my fill with this world and I still want to know what happen next
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

MissLeila wrote: The problem with this book that it lacked description "of how life is in this futuristic world, the means of transport, communication and importantly the characters physical appearances (I still don't have a clear image of how the prince nor Cinder looks).
Personally, I sort of like when authors leave the details a bit vague - it leaves me with more room for my imagination to take flight :) While I agree that certain developments were oh-so-obvious (my roommate guessed the final major development by about 20 pages in) I was still captivated by the world and the story itself. I couldn't help but identify with Cinder and devoured the first two books in a couple of weeks - and it only took me that long because college is quite time-consuming. I'm still waiting to get my hands on Cress, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
MeRead
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meread.html

Post by MeRead »

I made it part way through the first book and it just wasn't doing much for me. I know lots and lots of people rave about this one but I just couldn't see what they were seeing. I don't get it :(
MissLeila
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5506">The Iron Knight</a>

Post by MissLeila »

Lovely_Loreley wrote:
MissLeila wrote: The problem with this book that it lacked description "of how life is in this futuristic world, the means of transport, communication and importantly the characters physical appearances (I still don't have a clear image of how the prince nor Cinder looks).
Personally, I sort of like when authors leave the details a bit vague - it leaves me with more room for my imagination to take flight :) While I agree that certain developments were oh-so-obvious (my roommate guessed the final major development by about 20 pages in) I was still captivated by the world and the story itself. I couldn't help but identify with Cinder and devoured the first two books in a couple of weeks - and it only took me that long because college is quite time-consuming. I'm still waiting to get my hands on Cress, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!
I'm happy you liked it, I still need to read the sequel to it. I hope I'll get to it this summer, you never know it might change my mind.

For me, description and details are important in a distopian/paranormal/fantasy/...ect novel.
because I'll either imagine the worst scenarios/places or I'll relate it to another book's world. And this, I don't like it, because I start Comparing books, and my review will be completely subjective (based on comparison, it's not fair to do it to such a creative writing/storytelling).

I hope Cress will be everything you expected, happy reading and enjoy!
MissLeila

Post by MissLeila »

Lovely_Loreley wrote:
I'm happy you liked it, I still need to read the sequel to it. I hope I'll get to it this summer, you never know it might change my mind.

For me, description and details are important in a distopian/paranormal/fantasy/...ect novel.
because I'll either imagine the worst scenarios/places or I'll relate it to another book's world. And this, I don't like it, because I start Comparing books, and my review will be completely subjective (based on comparison, it's not fair to do it to such a creative writing/storytelling).

I hope Cress will be everything you expected, happy reading and enjoy!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”