Review by Beatus -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: 110 Miles Behind The Lines (amazon) by Robert Marabito

Review by Beatus -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Beatus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Despite one of the most violent prologue, I immediately grasped an enthralling concept behind the narrative. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a gentle read made easier by map illustrations and glossary. The book starts with Galen Bray, a young man whose tough life is about to change for the better. He is an heir to his great uncle’s substantial fortune. He also has an obligation to continue his uncle’s legacy as a blacksmith.

On the other side, the king of Voulhire has a mysterious feud with his former general, Dalehei Meldorath. The general, who later became the lord of Hillport, is now a powerful magician-prisoner whom the public thinks is dead. Apparently, a lot is known about him and his magic powers. However, a lot more remains a mystery. How long will the king of Voulhire continue to lie to his people, and for what purpose? What does Galen Bray have to do with the unfolding Meldorath drama?

This fantasy narrative is interesting because the magical and the physical worlds intertwine perfectly. Readers will feel as if they’re learning about the origin and history of magic and its relation to the outer realms. Additionally, the author developed the characters to perfection. They expressed impeccable personalities, exquisite taste, and impressive intellect. Their arguments made sense and built up the theme for the second installment. I liked how the author set the plot in the minds of the characters through the unique structure of the book. Without the normal chapters, this 166 pages long novel presented the characters as the central elements of the story.

I can fault neither the editing nor can I complain about the language, word-choice, or religious-offensive content. However, if you hate violence, then skip this book. As the first book in a series, the author did an outstanding job to justify the logic behind the fantasy. Like this line on page 111 which says, “The mind and body had to work with the world, or the world would not move”. This made me feel like I was reading about true events and not just the author’s imagination. The first person's point of view gave the story a unique taste and added depth to it, giving the reader a 3D view of the plot.

Readers who enjoy fantasy, magic, and action will enjoy this book. I must admit that I was hooked right from the start. I am definitely going to keep up with the Voulhire series to see how the story ends. Therefore, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz gets a 4 out of 4 stars rating from me.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tarilan
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Post by Tarilan »

Am glad you enjoyed the book. Your review engaged my curiosity. I also look forward to reading the We are Voulhire series. Thanks for the honest review.
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by MarianaFigueira »

I also enjoyed this book, Mathew Tysz has an incredible imagination. Thanks for sharing!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”