Review by Buddy maxx -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Buddy maxx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddy-maxx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Buddy maxx -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Buddy maxx »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As Galen Bray handed over the papers that would secure him a place in the ship headed for Voulhire, he was happy to leave the Lands of the Princes. He recently inherited a forge from his uncle who he never knew of and even though he is excited to leave the war-torn Lands of the Princes, he doesn't know what kind of life awaits him in the new kingdom; he only knows he is headed for Magnum Caelum, Voulhire.

In Voulhire, Meldorath uses strong magic to attack castle Hillport, and he accuses Lord Orlin of acts against children. Lord Orlin is executed and Meldorath declares himself Lord of Hillport, but only for a short while. He is later arrested and King Wilhem appoints Lord Eldus as the new Hillport's lord. Due to his magic and greed, people want Meldorath dead and King Wilhem assures them he was executed. But then there are rumors that he is still alive, which if true could be a threat not only to Hillport town, but to Voulhire as well. Enjoy the thrill as Matthew Tysz tells the amazing story of politics in Voulhire, as well as Galen's journey in this amazing book, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great skies.

This being the first book in the We are Voulhire series, it's captivating in a way the reader is interested to read the rest of the books in the series. What I like most about the book is that the author tells Voulhire's story from different perspectives, switching between the first person and the third person narrative. Galen's narrates his story in the first person, while Voulhire's politics are narrated in the third person. I like how Galen is used to make us understand Voulhire from the citizens' and refugees' perspective, giving the reader a break from the politicians and the noblemen.

The book includes a map of Voulhire, a glossary and a link to Matthew Tysz's website which explains Voulhire history. I found these resources useful in helping the reader understand the story and it feels realistic. I like the fact that even though the book takes us back to the medieval era, the vocabulary isn't complicated. The book structure is compelling and the chapters are well-organized. The author has a unique way of labeling the chapters with a bold heading that indicates the character who is focused on in that particular chapter. The story illustrates a conflict between good and evil, as it involves science, religion, evil magic, magic used for the good.

I like how Voulhire is the center of attention throughout the book, as all the characters' actions have an impact on the kingdom. The title is captivating and corresponds to the theme. The first section of the title indicates that the series focuses on Voulhire, while the second part indicates the theme in this particular book in the series. The book is well-edited and there was nothing that I disliked about it. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to action-packed historical fiction enthusiasts. Due to instances of violence, murder and misuse of power, I would not recommend the book to young readers.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”