Review by HannahsReads -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Review by HannahsReads -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by HannahsReads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Timewise is a science-fiction novel by author Robert Leet. The novel explores the nature of time. Ron is a lonely and uninspired student when he meets the mysterious Regina. Regina inspires Ron to enter the world of mathematics and physics. Over time, Ron embarks on groundbreaking work relating to fractals, finances, and time itself. However, not everyone approves of Ron and Regina's work; they must hide their discoveries from an inquisitive FBI agent.

I found this book to be both unusual and fascinating. It is beautifully written; the writing style is just as intricate as the subject matter of the story. The settings are described in such detail that reading some scenes is like watching a movie. The characters are three-dimensional and complicated people. The author does a fantastic job explaining a great many complex scientific theories for the layperson reader. Some of these concepts include dark matter theories, quantum physics, and string theory. These scientific ideas are sometimes expanded into artful science-fiction theories. Regina’s theory of a “pretemporal information collector” (time travel) is one of these. The author often provides illustrations to further explain these theories to readers.

I found very little to dislike in this fascinating book. I will note that this is not a book with a great deal of mass appeal; anyone reading Timewise needs to commit to paying very close attention to the story. This could be an issue for readers looking for a more casual reading experience. However, my only personal critique of the book is that it contains very little humor. All of the characters are vividly portrayed; I feel that a dash of humor would truly bring them to life. It would also add a bit of leavening to the very dense subject matter of the book.

I would recommend Timewise to readers who enjoy books like To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis and The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu. This book does contain limited profanity, sex scenes, and a small amount of violence that could be disturbing to sensitive readers. I would also note that this book is not a space opera. It is a slower, more thoughtful kind of science-fiction book that requires readers who like to unpack dense text and mull over complex theories.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because of its fascinating theories, detailed descriptions, and excellent editing. I believe readers who enjoy thoughtful science fiction will be interested in this book.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
duskdawn09
2021 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by duskdawn09 »

I can really appreciate how detailed your reading style is through your summary of this book. Excellent review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”