Review by Abacus -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abacus
Favorite Book: The Shaman Cycle
Currently Reading: Making sense of life
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: A Score to Settle by Mike Torreano
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by Abacus -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Abacus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our protagonist, Ron Larsen, experiences many different foster homes as he grows up, not terrible experiences, but neither did he feel particularly wanted. But one day, an after-school chess program caught his attention, he became an excellent player, which provided his life with some structure. Ron met Regina Russo, a professor of physics, in a chess game. She was in her late thirties and came to take a great interest in Ron's future.

Other people helped Ron on his way; Cheryl Liona, a flatmate and botanist, taught Ron that the "atmosphere is Earth's lung," and he began to appreciate the majesty of nature. A few months later, Regina turned up and offered to pay Ron's college tuition if he could get all A's. Thus challenged, Ron found Math to be his refuge at Northern University. Regina continues the physics lessons, and Ron starts thinking deeply about quantum physics.

I am amazed that Timewise is the first book Robert Leet has written. It is a remarkable book; the plot is ingenious, and the subject matter profoundly interesting to me, and I feel sure many others. His characters are engaging, and Regina adds mystery and enlightenment. The plot has many sub-plots, and Regina's physics lessons go on throughout the story. Regina tries to engage Ron's mind into her ideas on physics. At their first meeting, Ron asked Regina, "What have you learned about time?" She answered, "I've learned that awareness creates time."

I enjoyed that the author weaves in interesting facts and plot diversions as the story progresses. Ron meets Louis, who knows the Northern campus's underground system like the back of his hand. Regina continues explaining her view of time to Ron, who often gets overwhelmed by her audacity in taking on Einstein and Newton. Trying to prove some of Regina's hypotheses that "Time does not exist until an observation is made," "We are looking at time from outside of time," and "Within each Planck moment, time does not exist" occupy all the time that Regina and Ron have.

The plot has many diversions, such as Ron meeting Sheila at Washington U. They develop a business relationship and eventually get married. There is also a rogue FBI agent who threatens their investment and experiments. Ron eventually returns to Regina and helps her with her experiments.

I rate Timewise 4 out of 4 stars for its spirited and well-researched discussion of a burning topic. I do not rate it 3 out of 4 stars because it is written for the non-scientists appreciation and captures it well. I found nothing to dislike and found no errors. I believe it was professionally edited.

I recommend it to anyone with an enquiring mind, young adults, science students, and professionals. There are many descriptions of healthy sex so not suitable for children.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ndiviwe
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Ndiviwe »

The fictional time travel aspect of the novel sounds fantastic and would have me hooked to the book. The phyics jargon might be a hard no no for me but it might be a suspenseful page-turner for someone who has a deeper understanding for physics topics.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”