Review by Sharon2056 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Sharon2056 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Sharon2056 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Experiencing adversity in life could be a way in which an individual is prepared for a greater destiny. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a Sci-fi thriller that unravels the story of Galen Bray; a young man from the land of the Princes, who migrated to Voulhire in Magnum Caelum, to meet and run his uncle's blacksmith business.

The book begins with Galen boarding a ship to Magnum Caelum. The young lad had never traveled out of the war- infested land of the Princes, and for that reason; he was excited about the experience, and the peace he had heard was present in Voulhire. In the new land, Galen befriends Rowan, who was his late uncle's executor. The executor introduces him to the blacksmith business and leads him to explore some of the richest resources in Voulhire. Whatever Galen, Rowan, and the monk identify in a precious black stone changes the course of their lives.

Despite the glory and success that has constantly been associated with Voulhire, there are dark secrets about the land that has been hidden underneath. King Wilhelm has guided the land to its golden age full of success with the help of the Eiodi, the head of the church. However, a rebel group called the Riva Rohavi has been silently rebuilding itself to attack and overpower Voulhire without the knowledge of the king. The Hillport town which the rebels are aiming to attack is the same town King Wilhelm is struggling to rebuild. This is after its past infamous incidents with wicked leaders like Lord Meldorath and Lord Orlin.

Tysz is an adept story-teller, the book is an easy read despite being a Sci-fi thriller. The story is fast-paced and captivating. The details of the war between the Riva Rohavi, Lord Eldus, and the locals do not slow down the pace of the book. The book further explores the mysteries of Lord Meldorath and the wicked acts performed by Lord Orlin. The issue of magic, child abuse, and good leadership are all highlighted in the book.

The aspect of magic has been deeply explored in the book. For instance, Caromentis which is also described as the flesh of the soul, and the land of magic is introduced. Individuals like Meldorath and some of his mages are tapping magic power to rule the cosmos with ill intentions. Despite the book being edgy and captivating, it's important to note that there are disturbing scenes explored in the book, such as; using children for magic, and detailed incidents of war.

The book was well edited as I did not find any instances of grammatical error. However, there are a few instances in which foul language has been used in the book. Besides that, I did not find any other flaws. I wholeheartedly rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Being a series I cannot wait to read the sequels stories to the novel. I highly recommend it to fans of Sci-fi novels, fantasy and magic thrillers, historical novels, and anyone who would like an interesting read.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”