Review by jadhart13 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jadhart13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadhart13.html
Latest Review: The Omicron Six by Endy Wright

Review by jadhart13 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by jadhart13 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Tysz's We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies combines interesting characters with beautiful writing that will leave you craving for more.

Throughout Voulhire, there are multiple characters, each with their own unique and fascinating plot line:

Galen, a young man from distant islands, finds himself in Voulhire, a mystical and foreign land. Galen has inherited a forge from his deceased great uncle, and while he struggles to understand the mysteries of Voulhire, he must also learn how to become a blacksmith.

Meldorath, a powerful mage who doesn't hesitate to demonstrate the ferocity of his magic, seeks retribution on those who have wronged him.

Eldus, a once city judge finds himself as the new Lord of a town recovering from great tragedy, bloodshed and betrayal.

The Riva, a terrorist group, seeks chaos and destruction of a world that has cast them out.

While there are multiple characters and view points in We Are Voulhire, I don't find them distracting from the overall story. The characters are interesting and show growth, which keeps me engaged with them and their individual stories. While I did enjoy the varying view points, some the characters' reasons for being in the story thus far was not made clear. I wish that the author had intertwined the characters' stories together to make the overall picture more clear.

The writing was beautiful, witty, and funny. Despite the overall plot being a little slow, and with very little action, I thoroughly enjoyed every second spent reading this book.

Having been shown very little of the world, I could imagine what the cities and surroundings looked like. The only thing I wish that had more detail was the magic system. Very little was explained, simply that it existed and certain people could learn how to wield magic. I think understanding the magic system would definitely help the reader feel more connected to the world and understand it further.

Overall, I give We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies a 4 out of 4 star rating. The book was exceptionally well edited. There were very few flaws that I found within the writing. The characters and story were interesting enough to grant this a rating of four.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves an engaging fantasy novel. However, if one does not enjoy multiple plot lines, then this isn't the book for you.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”