Review by Drianie -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by Drianie -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Drianie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A new arrival under great skies is the first installment in the We are Voulhire series, written by author Matthew Tysz. The extensive plot, detailed world-building, and fleshed-out characters create an epic fantasy novel that combines both science and magic.

In the war-torn Land of the Princes, we find our hero, Galen Bray. His long lost uncle, who lives in the prosperous kingdom of Voulhire, is dying and searching for an heir to his steel forge business. Galen immediately journeys to the little town Magnum Caelum, where his new life awaits him. Voulhire is a flourishing kingdom, but some harbor sinister motives, and they will stop at nothing to achieve their selfish goals, even if it means leaving destruction and devastation in their wake. Lord Meldorath, a powerful mage with selfish ambition, overthrows the lord of Hillport, taking control of the town. In retaliation, King Wilhelm has him arrested but has his kingdom believe the mage to be dead. Lord Alderman is then sent to Hillport to bring the town back onto its feet. Amongst these events, Galen must find himself and the role he has to play in the future of Voulhire. What do the ambitious plans of Lord Meldorath entail? Will King Wilhelm be able to keep the powerful mage incarcerated for long? What does the future hold for the kingdom of Voulhire?

Firstly, the excellent writing and impressive world-building sets up an exciting reading experience. With this novel, Tysz proves that he is a force to be reckoned with in the fantasy genre, displaying his talent on every page. The format consists of chapter headings, indicating which character the focus will be on. What is interesting is that the author will use the first person viewpoint when Galen is featured, presenting him as the lead character in the story. Then in other chapters featuring other characters, he will make use of the third-person viewpoint. Despite this change in style, the narrative is still easy to follow along. Since the novel features a large cast, I couldn't mention all the characters, but even so, it was easy to keep up with the plot. It might be a bit slow-paced in places, but it leads up to a suspenseful ending that had me on the edge of my seat.

This brings me to my second point and one that some readers might dislike. Matthew Tysz has a very distinctive writing style where he will abruptly end his novels, leaving quite a few loose ends that still need to be tied up. These loose ends come into play in subsequent novels, and it can take some time to find closure for particular events. With this in mind, I advise readers to be prepared to read the entire series to fully appreciate the unfolding of events and character development, as you will not find enough with just one installment. These points I've mentioned did not deter my reading experience in any way, and I absolutely enjoyed the novel from the beginning to the end.

Lastly, this novel explores some sensitive topics like perversion and also includes some vulgar comments, although the author does not go into detail. This, along with the use of profanity, makes the novel unsuitable for a younger audience. It is worth taking note that the Voulhire world mixes spirituality and religion with magic, and some religious readers might be sensitive to this.

Taking all this into consideration and since there was nothing I personally disliked about it, I am happy to rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. It is obviously professionally edited, and the writing, complex characters, and world-building are praiseworthy. I recommend this novel and series to avid fantasy readers. "Now that he has conquered the road on which he stands, he must decide in which direction he will go."

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: I Love You All the Numbers by Eschani Taylor
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I read this book too and found it to be wonderful. I I also agree with your rating. Thanks for the great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Metropolitan
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Reality Games by Tom Reissmann

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this book and I appreciated the world-building, so as soon as I can find the time I'm reading its sequels! Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: I Will Avenge by P Howard Smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

This installment laid a good foundation for other subsequent series. I agree with you on the author's writing style. It was extremely impressive. I enjoyed reading your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: A.M.P.D Artificial Military Prosthetics by Thomas Hraynyk

Post by kandscreeley »

Mr. Tysz does have a distinctive writing style. I'm not sure I could keep up with all the characters. However, I have read quite a few positive reviews about this book. Must be he's done something right. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I read this book sometime ago and this was a great read for me, too. I enjoyed reading the review from your perspectives. Thanks for the great review! :)
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: City of Ladies by Sarah Kennedy

Post by inaramid »

I find switching POVs quite off-putting, so I'm glad the story is still easy to follow despite this narrative choice. Thanks for this review!
lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

I read this book and I agree, this has an amazing world-building. Thanks for this insightful and well-written review!
Drianie

Post by Drianie »

Saint Bruno wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 01:45 I read this book too and found it to be wonderful. I I also agree with your rating. Thanks for the great review.
I'm so happy to know you enjoyed it as much as I did. Thanks for reading my review! :tiphat:
Drianie

Post by Drianie »

NetMassimo wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 06:11 I read this book and I appreciated the world-building, so as soon as I can find the time I'm reading its sequels! Thank you for your great review!
I'm sure you won't regret it. Thanks for stopping by Massimo! :tiphat:
Drianie

Post by Drianie »

Fabulous mind wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 11:05 This installment laid a good foundation for other subsequent series. I agree with you on the author's writing style. It was extremely impressive. I enjoyed reading your review.
Thank you so much for stopping by. I really appreciate your feedback! :tiphat:
Drianie

Post by Drianie »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 19:23 Mr. Tysz does have a distinctive writing style. I'm not sure I could keep up with all the characters. However, I have read quite a few positive reviews about this book. Must be he's done something right. Thanks.
He definitely deserves all the positive feedback. Thank you for taking the time to read my review! :tiphat:
Drianie

Post by Drianie »

Erandi Ekanayake wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 23:00 I read this book sometime ago and this was a great read for me, too. I enjoyed reading the review from your perspectives. Thanks for the great review! :)
I'm glad you enjoyed it too! Thanks for your kind words Erandi Ekanayake! :tiphat:
Drianie

Post by Drianie »

inaramid wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 02:01 I find switching POVs quite off-putting, so I'm glad the story is still easy to follow despite this narrative choice. Thanks for this review!
Tysz did a great job of making it easy to follow along. Thanks for taking the time to read my review and engage. :tiphat:
Drianie

Post by Drianie »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 06:22 I read this book and I agree, this has an amazing world-building. Thanks for this insightful and well-written review!
Thank you for your awesome feedback. I really appreciate it! :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”