Review by calciumm -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
calciumm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calciumm.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by calciumm -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by calciumm »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End by Matthew Tysz is his third installment in his dark fantasy series We Are Voulhire. This book follows right after the events of the second book, and it focuses on the vulnerability of Voulhire as a nation.

Meldorath finally has the Eiodi’s throne. His next plan is to kill King Wilhelm to obtain King Javikun’s diary, which seemingly contains the path to Caromentis. A powerful being called The Emperor of Lullabies has made contact with both Meldorath and Nartik through their dreams. Meanwhile, Galen, Demetrius, and Rowan want to see the king concerning the events in Virko. Their only chance of seeing the king is through a trial that’s happening in Soulhire. The petition that started the trial claims that Voulhire should accept refugees from The Land of the Princes as an act of benevolence towards humankind. However, other officials don’t want to take in refugees in fear that they will anger the Emperor of Lullabies, the creator of The Land of the Princes. Their counterargument is that the emperor might bring the conflict to them once they interfere, and when he does, no one will be able to stop him due to his tremendous powers. As the story unfolds, revelations, as well as chaos, ensued. Will this chaos wholly consume Voulhire? Or will the trio find a way to stop the madness? There’s only one way to find out--by immersing in the world of We Are Voulhire.

What I liked most about this book is that every page is brimming with action and adventure.
The writing style of the author is very cohesive, and the readers can feel the thrill of each scene. This reason makes the book so easy to read in one sitting because the readers would want to find out what’s going to happen next to the characters. The picture painted by the author through his words is also clear and vivid, which makes the reader more immersed in his novel. Another thing that I liked about this book is that even if you haven’t read the first two books, you would still understand the story. Aside from having a reference guide at the end of the book, I can also say that the book can be stand-alone. Despite being the third installment in the series, the book is both connected to the first two books but is also cohesive on its own.

There’s not much that I didn’t like about the book. There are only a few boring scenes, but most of the book is jump-packed with action, which made the boring scenes not too much of a drag for me. Despite its conciseness, the overall story is built well, and it leaves you wanting more.

Overall, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. We are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End is perfect for those who like to read fantasy adventure books. Although there might be some age restriction as the book has some curse words. There is also a small part in the book where they talk about rape, so if you are sensitive to the topic then it might be best to avoid this book.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”