Review by ria246 -- So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ria246
Favorite Book: So Long Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria246.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Review by ria246 -- So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Post by ria246 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "So Long Earth" by Michael Bienenstock.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

So Long Earth is a science fiction written by Michael Bienenstock, that takes you on a timeline to escape the deterioration of the Earth. A team of expert scientist come together to put the final solution they could find to save humanity into action, after following the deterioration of the Earth’s environment due to climate change throughout the years.

Starting in 2017, you learn about the main character Tim Burns and his family. After realizing that the politicians are not interested in helping reverse the effect humanity has on the environment, he calls together the expert scientist who agree with him to start their plan. As drastic or “crazy” -as they are often called by other characters who don’t agree with them- it may seem, they begin to build four spaceships.

You follow Tim, his family and colleagues as they push through the difficulties that arise when building a spaceship. They also fight with their doubts of leaving Earth and the morals of some science research like human cloning, immortality and stem cell research. The author switches between third and first person as he writes from the point of view of several characters. At the beginning of each chapter he lets you know whose point of view it is, so you shouldn’t get confused.

I liked learning about the different aspects of science they used to prepare for their trip, especially cryopreservation, as well as how they solved the various problems they were faced with. What also makes it interesting is that it starts not too far in the past (2017) and mentions the natural disasters as they occur then go on through a possible scenario of natural disasters that could occur as the climate gets worse. I kept wondering if any of the natural disasters mentioned for the future would really occur. I also liked that even though the characters did not like Trump, the author kept it respectful. My only problem was that it took a while to really get interesting. But once the story built up it was hard to put down.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I also liked that it was something organized to include other countries and not just one country alone trying to save humanity by themselves. The suspense of if they would finish everything in time was real. Would they have a safe lift-off or would they blow up? Remember this was something that was never achieved before. I’m looking forward to a book two and/or three. I have so many questions that another book could answer. Did they reach their destination safely? What is the new planet like compared to Earth? Do they make the same mistakes as their previous leaders on Earth? Does anyone travel back to Earth to see what’s become of it? The editor did a pretty good job as only one minor typo was found.

If you are interested in science and climate change this book would be perfect for you, due to the large amount of science talk. If you’re curious about science, you could give it a try and learn some interesting things. Trump supporters may not appreciate it as much. There was no vulgarity nor erotic scenes.

So Long Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”