Review by Frey13 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Frey13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frey13.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Frey13 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Frey13 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Magic, politics, and everyday survival combine in this offering by Matthew Tysz, titled We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies. A young man by the name of Galen arrives in a vast country on the verge of its golden age. Galen is from a place that has been submerged in war for years, so this refreshing change of scenery and lifestyle is the perfect arrangement for someone still in their twenties.

Having a well established blacksmithing business, Galens uncle falls on ill health and sends for him so he can learn the trade and take over. Accompanied by the man hired to find him, this wide eyed novice has no clue of the circumstances transpiring that will most certainly stretch out to effect him and the quaint town he resides in.

This book and the landscape of its characters and places was effortless to fall into. The way the author intertwined politics, magic, and religion was as pragmatic as it was exciting. Showing both sides of enduring conflicts makes it difficult to judge or pinpoint any group or character as good or bad. Simply individuals caught up in circumstances trying to do what was best for themselves and those they care about.

Complete with backstories of previous dynasties that paved the way for all the current major factions that vie for power, this book kept me intrigued. My imagination ran wild with the descriptions given from the clothes worn, to the interplay of magic, to even the techniques of blacksmithing. There was never a dull moment for me in this story.

Superb editing allowed me to seamlessly move through the story without distraction. I rate this book 4 out of 4. The only negative thing I can think of is, I just wish the book was longer. However even in that, I feel the book in and of itself told a well rounded story and left off at the perfect stopping point. The author was even thoughtful enough to provide a glossary at the end to help the reader better understand the ins and outs of this magnificent world he created.

I would recommend this book for kids middle school age to adults who enjoy reading science fiction. We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is very easy to read yet contains themes that just as easily keep you interested. The pace of the character development was on task with the main story line. Matthew Tysz left me anxious to read the next book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”