Review by MissMishaH95 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MissMishaH95
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missmishah95.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by MissMishaH95 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by MissMishaH95 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first novel in an epic fantasy series by author Matthew Tysz. It is set in the fictional country of Voulhire, a prosperous land filled with magic and mystery.

The story begins with Galen Bray; a refugee who has escaped his war-torn country known as the Lands of the Princes, and journeys to Voulhire where he is to inherit his great uncle’s estate in the small town of Magnum Caelum. Once there he meets and befriends Rowan, the executor of his uncle’s estate, who helps him get settled into his new life. We also meet Eldus Alderman, the newly appointed lord of Hillport, as he deals with the aftermath caused by the previous lord, a wicked and powerful mage, Lord Meldorath. As Eldus settles into his new role, he has to assure the fearful citizens of Hillport of the death of Lord Meldorath. But is the mage actually dead?

There was so much of this book that I enjoyed. I loved that the author included a map at the beginning of the book. Alongside the descriptive imagery of the landscapes and surroundings, it helped to envision where everything took place, as well as where the characters were traveling to. The author also included a reference guide to make it easier to understand certain words or phrases that were used. The author told the story from the third person narrative for most of the characters, whilst Galen’s was in the first-person narrative. It made it easier to understand Galen’s thoughts and feelings about being in a country so different from his own.

There was not a single thing I disliked about this novel. The author was good with the description of scenes and dialogue was done well. The characters felt real and each one had a distinct personality that made it easy to tell them apart. I did not notice any spelling or grammatical errors whatsoever, it was exceptionally well-edited.

Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It kept me captivated and wanting to know more after every chapter. There were some profanity and violence, as well as topics that are unsuitable for younger readers. I would recommend this book to young adults who love fantasy or sci-fi. The novel is a good, slow-burn introduction into the series and I cannot wait to read the next book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”