Official Review: The Devil’s Redemption

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: Dancing Past the Graveyard by Paul Eno

Official Review: The Devil’s Redemption

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devil’s Redemption" by Ordin K. Cambel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever wondered what the world would be like without evil, selfishness, and greed? This was the question Ordin K. Cambel tried to answer in The Devil's Redemption: The Halcyon Atonement.

In this epic tale, the devil, weary of the endless cycle of pain and torment going on in hell, decides to visit the earth and find who has his ring. This person turns out to be Howe, who believes in God and attends church. Howe refuses to allow the devil to take him over. His refusal means he has to contend with the devil. With the fate of humanity hanging on his shoulders, can Howe withstand the onslaughts of the devil?

This novel has its roots firmly in the Christian faith, and there are many quotations from the Bible. It will not be easy for people of other religions or beliefs to enjoy this book; it is better suited to Christians. It also uses a lot of scientific and mystic jargon. For anybody who is not familiar with any of the above, the book might be challenging to follow.

Having read the book's short description, I started with excitement to know what it had to offer. It had an interesting storyline, and that got my attention immediately. However, I was a tad disappointed as I started reading. The initial chapters were boring, and I felt my excitement fading away as I progressed. However, things began to pick up again as the book got to the middle. It seemed the earlier pages were like a foundation laid for the rest of the book. Unfortunately, things were just a bit slow there. I had to point this out for readers who would get discouraged if a book started slowly. If you could get past the initial chapters' boredom, you'd enjoy the book's storyline.

I liked the book because, despite all the intricacies, the author was consistent in the narrative. The author could sync past, present, and future events. Also, terminologies, numbers, and dates were consistent. It would have been easy for me to get lost in the details, but the story's consistency helped me through the read.

Another thing I like is that the book has a lesson it teaches. There are so many books I know that are pointless. This book aims to impact readers and open their minds to the possibility of a better way of doing things. This is what I like best about the book.

The biggest bane of this book was the plethora of grammatical errors in it. Beyond the initial boredom, the grammatical issues were distracting. The book would need another round of professional editing. In addition to this, intending readers should note that it contains violence, sexual undertones, and drug use.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars in the light of everything I've shared. I didn't give it a lower rating because of the lessons I learned from it. I'd recommend it to people interested in science fiction and Christians who would like to read about the soul's reformation.

The Devil’s Redemption
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Drianie
Currently Reading: Juliet, Naked
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Drianie »

I enjoyed reading your thorough review. I appreciate the overall message the author tries to communicate to the readers, despite the slow beginning. Hopefully, with a bit of editing, this will be a more enjoyable read.

RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by RHD »

This one seems 50/50. A book with a message but still a plethora of errors. Thanks for the detailed review 👌

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover

Post by NetMassimo »

Mixing science fiction and religion isn't easy, and this novel is too heavily religious for my taste. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Piercing the Cloud: Encountering the Real Me by Jaime A. Pineda

Post by Eutoc »

Reading through the book just reminded me of C. S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters. Watching the devil literally come to earth just to torment. Interesting review Ibeh.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading: Waterworks
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by Sarrikoziol »

First of all, thank you for your review. I have had books that start off seemingly slow. It can be very hard to even bring yourself to read them at times. However, I always finish. It bugs me terribly when I do not complete a book. I've only had this happen once in my life, and it still torments me.

With that being said, I am not sure I would add this to my shelves. While I hold no grudges regarding religious novels, they just are not my cup of tea on a regular basis.

FalcTus
Currently Reading: Thir13en
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falctus.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by FalcTus »

I think the book is really super natural about some mythics in christianity. As you said I may not be able to understand the book, but the review was really nice and has a flow that I went on reading the whole review.

Boomboo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Boomboo »

I think this book is amazing because its like super natural and mystical things in it. It may be hard for me to understand because as you said that the story more about Christianity and the jargon that they use in the story, and as you said also that the story a little bit slow in the beginning and starting to get excited in the end. The Review really give me the roughly idea about the story was about.

Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I’m very curious to see how a mix of sci-fi and religion plays out. The name of the novel clearly depicts it embodies a struggle between sci-fi narratives and religion and that alone stirs a lot of curiosity in me.

I still commend you for a well written review. Thank you

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”