Featured Official Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Featured Official Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes...

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum" by C.S. Colvin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The second book in a fantastic series, Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin is as interesting and fun to read as the book that precedes it. I was excited to have the opportunity to review this book since I reviewed the first book, and I was not disappointed with the continuation of the storyline. This is a fantasy book and is best suited for those who like to read the genre and enjoy stories similar in style to Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings series. Apart from those who don’t like fantasy books, I cannot think of a particular type of reader to whom the book wouldn’t appeal. The book does not contain erotic scenes or use profane language.

The book begins several years after the last one ends, with Hippocrates, also known as Creed, on Earth with his young son, Colt. The two are quickly taken back to Mürindür, where the souls from those who have died on Earth end up before ultimately passing on to the Endüerduul, or paradise, or the Undüavalle, a sort of Hell. Once back in Mürindür, Hippocrates and his friends and allies continue their journey to fight the dark forces of Leterum and Acrom, who are trying to gain control of all of the worlds. In addition to battling these evil forces and trying to restore balance to the realms, Hippocrates is dealing with his own internal struggles, including dealing with the guilt and grief he has over the recent death of his wife.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as I think it’s a very well-written and engaging read. I feel the book deserves this perfect rating and didn’t give it a lower one because I enjoyed just about everything in it! The things I liked most about the book are the characters and the setting. Colvin has a great imagination when it comes to the different places in Mürindür, and he describes everything so vividly that readers can really feel like they’re seeing these places themselves. As for the characters, each of them has a distinct personality and consistently speaks and acts accordingly. The characters are unique, and each struggles with his or her own demons.

I suppose if I had to choose an element that I disliked most about the book, it would be the ending, but I really cannot get more specific without giving away spoilers! I just personally wished for a different climatic event to take place. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and don’t have anything negative to say about it. In particular, I have found both of the books in this series to have good pacing, meaning that you’re never bored but at the same time, the storyline doesn’t feel rushed.

As for errors, I only spotted a couple of minor typos not worth mentioning, so I can honestly say that the book seems to be professionally edited. It’s an exciting fantasy read, and I recommend it to others looking to get into a new series. You could even start with this second one if you really wanted to and haven’t read the first book, as this second book provides the necessary context. I enjoyed reading this one and can’t wait for the third book in the series to be released!

Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum
View: on Bookshelves
VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

The cover of the book is very artistic. Though I wonder after transending to a place beyond hell and heaven, the souls still need to fight some dark forces. Your review is really detailed and interesting to read. Great job! 👍
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A fantasy book with an interesting plot and great characters - seems like the perfect formula :). Thank you for your wonderful review, you did a great job!
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

The title is rather intriguing, I think I would gladly read this book just because of it! But it seems like a fun and engaging story with a profound background, very interesting. Thank you for your review, I really enjoyed it!
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kate Park »

A book similar to Tolkien's work definitely would be an interesting read. It also sounds like this book is very descriptive. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an interesting novel of the classic type of the fantasy genre with great characters. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

It seems like a good read. Thanks for the review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Intriguing plot! I commend the strength of the characters and their development by the author. Thanks for a great review!
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Fantasy book is my favourite genre and I feel I will enjoy reading this book a lot.
Thank you for the wonderful review.
Mutumba94
Currently Reading: Shadow Game
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutumba94.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by Mutumba94 »

I am into fantasy books but I am not sure about this one. I do not like the title but the story line seems a bit interesting. That’s a good review.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Sounds interesting, might just take a look. Thanks for the review.
ASNOUFFER64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asnouffer64.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by ASNOUFFER64 »

Just based on this review and the cover art this looks like a book I could fangirl out for
Nesy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nesy »

Great reviews. I think the world still yearns for These Tolkiens. Brilliant cover
Serem2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serem2.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Serem2 »

I couldn't agree more, the book, actually is favorable for readers who like fantasy books. thank for your good review.
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

Title itself attracted my attention. I think it's a great fantasy read. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”