Review by kaplangrad2010 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kaplangrad2010
Currently Reading: Purrfect Murder (The Mysteries of Max Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaplangrad2010.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by kaplangrad2010 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by kaplangrad2010 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This being the beginning of the first of the We Are Voulhire series, Matthew Tysz introduces the setting beautifully and portrays it as a prosperous and powerful kingdom. The king being noble, his son a prominent heir to the throne, and Galen, who realizes he will be set on a path to change and hopefully success. Matthew also introduces the evil Meldorath, whom everyone thought he was dead, or is he? You’ll have to read on to find out.

Also, the setting is marked as vivid and imaginative, a beautiful kingdom full of prosperity, magic, and hope. I enjoyed the addition of the map of the kingdom to give retrospect to how and where the events took place. Every page turned was enough to keep the reader included in the storyline of it. With the main character’s story, it was interesting to learn about the steel and his uncle leaving him a business he had to learn himself from his journal. Galen had a sense of ability to learn quick and once learned he would not forget. He did catch on quite quickly with the forge though, I give him that.

In most parts of the book, Mr. Tysz uses the third-person view for his characters and the first-person for Galen. I enjoyed the opening setting with the king in the castle and the accusations brought forth then the change from one character to the next. It was intriguing as well as it kept me engulfed in the plot and with every twist and turn of the characters, there was always a surprise lurking ahead for one of them. What captured me the most was the vivid imagination the author Matthew has and how it prevented me from pausing my reading for more than a few minutes. There was always a time where I couldn’t stop reading and had to find out what happened next.

I also enjoyed that this isn’t a typical chapter by chapter book. It has what I would call character chapters where the author focuses on each one with a section long enough to be a chapter, but without the numbers. I have read a few like these in the past and I hope to read more in the future.

I would call this a fantasy fiction of magic and intrigue. It kept me turning the pages and for that I rate this 4 out of 4 stars. This book is professionally edited with no typos. I’m anxious to read the next one in the series, as these are the types of books I like to read. It is rated for the older teen to young adult and up age groups though for a couple of the profanities in it, but not much.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”